OK
In progress indicator

Container gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 151

Container Magnolia

Question from Marion Faust

We moved to a new house in December 2016 and the previous owners had many container plants, some of which they left. One is a beautiful dark purple Magnolia in a pot almost 2ft high by 2ft wide at the top which gave a lovely display. However, also in the pot was an ivy which seemed to be well established, irises and arum lilies. We have tried to dig out the ivy as much as possible but it had really taken hold and is now growing again. We would like to empty the pot to remove the ivy and then refill with fresh soil and return the Magnolia but don’t want to harm the Magnolia. When would be the best time to do this and is the Magnolia likely to survive. Any help would be appreciated.

• Views: 42
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Mon. 9th October 2017 08:43
  • Last reply: Fri. 13th October 2017 16:33

Lopsided Camellia

Question from Jeremy Lea

Hi all,
I have a lovely Camellia that has just finished flowering, however for reasons best known to itself it has all gone lopsided.

Can anyone please help me correct it? (pruning perhaps? )

Thanks in anticipation

• Views: 117
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Wed. 24th May 2017 07:44
  • Last reply: Sat. 22nd July 2017 09:02

Total novice

Question from Joan Rogan

Hi all, can any of you wonderful people give a complete novice like myself recommendations on what are the best plants to grow in pots on my patio that are colourful and will grow in both partial sun and shade. I am a COMPLETE NOVICE, but would just love to see a little bit of colour on my patio this year. I don't mean to grow from seed......I don't mind buying plants.
Thanks in advance. J.

• Views: 42
  • Posted: Mon. 1st May 2017 19:02
  • Last reply: Thu. 4th May 2017 05:45

Best use if limited space

Question from Eveline Williams

I have small balcony. How can I make best use of space?

• Views: 187
  • Posted: Mon. 2nd January 2017 05:28
  • Last reply: Wed. 28th June 2017 06:24

failure to flower

Question from Gwen Bragg

My agapanthus which are in pots haven't flowered this year also it looks like my dahlias and Nerines aren't going to flower. Gwen Bragg

• Views: 183
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Fri. 28th October 2016 15:13

Plant recommendation

Question from Madeleine Jackson

What annual flowering plants could you recommend for a balcony in southern France which gets lots of sunshine and maybe not always enough watering

• Views: 197
  • Posted: Sat. 3rd September 2016 22:08
  • Last reply: Sat. 17th September 2016 12:32

Epsom salts and geraniums

Question from Geoff Bird

I hear Geraniums like feeding with magnesium sulphate. But would like advice on dilution rates please, and frequency of feeding.

• Views: 119
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Mon. 22nd August 2016 09:36

lagurus ovatus bunny tail grass

Comment from pootros

Hallo All,
I have sown Lagurus ovatus into trays & pots and it has taken. I would like to take a seedling and put it in its own pot to grow on for putting into place as an established plant next year, as that is when I will need it, but am not sure if that is a waste of time, as not sure if it is perennial. Amateur question I know - apologies! Can't find info online!
Will it grow over winter if I protect it in a greenhouse?
Should I just put it down to experience and put them somewhere in the border and sow direct next year?

• Views: 245
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 30th May 2016 18:41
  • Last reply: Tue. 5th July 2016 10:01

Advice on a climber grown in a pot...

Question from Helen Farrell

Hi, can anyone recommend a climber that can be grown in a container? It will also be in quite a shady area. Any advice would be appreciated as I am new to this gardening thing. Many thanks.

• Views: 409
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 29th March 2016 19:47
  • Last reply: Sun. 30th April 2017 21:33

Agapanthus

General post from Joan Finch

What do I do with my agapanthus when it has finished flowering

• Views: 349
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 4th September 2015 08:24
  • Last reply: Mon. 2nd November 2015 11:27