OK
In progress indicator

Aquatics and ponds

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 21

What's Wrong With Our Frogs ?

Question from Rob Wiltsher

Really hope that someone can help ! Our garden is rapidly turning into a frog cemetery as I buried the 3rd one yesterday from our half-barrel pond and I have just found another, moving but barely alive and have put it back in the pond to allow it the final hours in its' home. The first 3 were clearly attacked by a cat we have (or something like it) but the 4th was intact. We have had a pond for about 10 years and this has never happened to this extent before. I am wondering if the pondwater is poisoning the frogs so they can't get away as easily as they have been (ie they may be sick or weak). Otherwise, what can I do to protect them ? Can I get a pondwater test at a garden centre ?

• Views: 1353
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Mon. 12th March 2012 17:19
  • Last reply: Thu. 15th March 2012 12:10

BEST TIME TO PUT PLANTS IN A POND

Comment from Anne Kibble

I look after a large garden with a very large pond (size of a small lake). We have been given some plants and I wonder what time would best to put them in.

• Views: 1518
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 30th November 2011 11:29
  • Last reply: Thu. 1st December 2011 17:09

bog irrigation

Question from David Selkirk

Hi, I am planning a bog garden,having researched and read up on bog gardens i am confused as to which irrigation method is best, would be gratefull if anyone who has experiance of bog gardens can help. I have read of putting pipe with holes at bottom covered in gravel, and of a pipe only just below the surface, any advice would be appreciated...

thanks in advance
Davie-S

• Views: 1677
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Tue. 16th August 2011 20:36
  • Last reply: Tue. 23rd August 2011 21:21

Cat-friendly water feature?

Question from Erika's Garden

I have a large bowl shaped stone water feature approx 1 ft diameter with a small solar fountain. Unfortunately, the water tends to become cloudy and green. I've tried oxygenating plants which didn't thrive, possibly because of the shallowness of the bowl and am reluctant to use anything chemical as both our cats use it as a convenient water bowl. Can anybody give advice on how to clear the water other than replacing it on a regular basis?

• Views: 734
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 26th June 2011 11:20
  • Last reply: Mon. 27th June 2011 20:04

new pond

Question from Rosie Platts

Hi, I have just finished a 2.5 x 2.5 x 1m deep pond which is lined with butyl and has raised plinths painted with pond paint for plants. I have a pump with UV etc. It was filled about a fortnight ago and still looks murky. My question is how long will it take to start to clear, and when should I introduce plants and fish? Is there a test to see if it's a good environment for fish?
Rosie

• Views: 851
  • Posted: Sat. 7th May 2011 17:53
  • Last reply: Wed. 27th July 2011 13:05

Iris pseudacorus

Question from martin

Hi guys i am really new to plants etc. i planted this iris in august. At that time the roots were small and the container seemed ample. However as you can see the roots are now running wild and growth seemed to have slowed considerably. I have been told i should divide them to increase numbers and encourage growth. please advise and if i should divide please tell me how to go about that.
Many Thanks

• Views: 1076
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 13th September 2010 17:01
  • Last reply: Mon. 13th September 2010 18:32

Hippuris Vulgaris (Mare's Tail) - How to get rid of it?

Comment from Sue Kimber

I have a natural clay pond and mistakenly put this plant in it two years ago. It isn't in baskets but rooted directly into the clay and would completely fill the pond if I didn't keep getting in there and pulling it out. But pulling it only gets the stems and hardly ever the roots, so it just keeps coming back. Has anyone else had a problem with this plant?

• Views: 5678
  • Posted: Sat. 14th August 2010 13:57
  • Last reply: Fri. 22nd October 2010 10:00

Water Fountains

General post from Pam B

I have a small corner in my pocket-sized 'garden' where I'd love to have a small water fountain.

I'm not very impressed with the few I've been able to find on the internet - not a great choice and rather repetitive.

Does any member have any suggestions of where to look or how to make my own (please small!) as I have a very good handyman who'd surely do it for me.

(Since I live in Sicily please don't suggest shops - just the items I would need.)

Thanks.

• Views: 958
  • Posted: Thu. 15th April 2010 20:52
  • Last reply: Fri. 16th April 2010 15:55

Oxygenators

Question from Clare

I have recently dug myself a pond (September time) and have a couple of plants in it including a couple of bunches of oxygenators. Is there a ratio for how much you need for the pond size, I am worried out the water going green. I did have a frog in the pond within a day of plants going in, which was fantastic.
Thanks
Clare

• Views: 1558
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Mon. 2nd November 2009 14:49
  • Last reply: Tue. 9th November 2010 21:36

Tip for marginals

Comment from Marissa Zoppellini

I good tip that I saw - it is often necessary to prop up marginal pots on bricks to raise them to a suitable height, which can sometimes be unsightly. You can camoflage the brick by wrapping it in black plastic, eg bin liner. You need to wrap it tightly so that it doesn't trap any wildlife. I shall give it a go when tidy my pond.

• Views: 920
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Tue. 6th October 2009 11:03