OK
In progress indicator

House plants

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 52

Poinsettia

Question from Georgie

My brother bought me a beautiful Poinsettia plant last year and by some miracle I've managed to keep it alive, in fact it's looking very well. I've read that to encourage it to flower and produce colourful bracts I need to ensure it gets 14 hours of darkness followed by 10 hours of daylight for the next two months. Now this just isn't possible because on the days I work I'm out of the house from about 07.00 to 18.00 (at least) and there's no-one else to help. So probably the best I can do is 12 hours of darkness. Will this suffice?

Georgie

• Views: 930
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 18th August 2009 21:47
  • Last reply: Wed. 19th August 2009 20:04

Amaryllis

Question from Val Barclay

Having had beautiful blooms for many weeks on my amaryllis in Dec,Jan,Feb, I followed all the rules for gentle watering in cooler temp to allow a dormant period. Suddenly,today, Aug. it has burst into flower again with 2 enormous blooms and 2 more developing! What have I done wrong to get Summer flowering?Any chance of getting flowers for Christmas - - or am I just being greedy!? By the way the plant itself looks in fantastic condition with luscious plentiful leaves.

• Views: 1129
  • Posted: Wed. 12th August 2009 22:12
  • Last reply: Sun. 6th September 2009 15:03

Bird of Paradise

Question from Lynda Blomerus

I have a bird of paradise plant that I grew from seed. It is now 2 years old and I read somewhere that one shouldnt repot it too often. There is a rather large root coming out of the bottom of the pot and I was wondering whether it would be safe for me to repot it into a slightly larger pot now? Any advice much appreciated

• Views: 796
  • Posted: Sat. 11th July 2009 19:13
  • Last reply: Fri. 17th July 2009 16:07

unhappy asparagus fern

Comment from marguerite mcmullin

I recently divided a large asparagus fern into two by sawing it's root ball in half. Two weeks later both sides seem rather unhappy . The soil has only just dried out so it's obviously not drinking anything. Do I just need to wait for it to adjust? Rather worried I've killed it!

• Views: 734
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 26th June 2009 10:37
  • Last reply: Tue. 30th June 2009 00:40

Anyone any idea what this is?

Question from onetruelove

It looks like a grass, with thin strappy leaves, but I'm a bit baffled by the bulbs.

• Views: 871
  • Posted: Thu. 26th March 2009 11:44
  • Last reply: Thu. 26th March 2009 22:25

Anyone into lithops?

Comment from mand

Everywhere i look, lithops people are lithops experts. I don't want to know THAT much and don't mind if they flower at the wrong time of year etc, but i have rather fallen for the little things. Anyone just imperfectly growing them? lol

• Views: 970
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 15th March 2009 18:24
  • Last reply: Mon. 16th March 2009 13:05

Cyclamen

Comment from Joanne 9919

I have an indoor Cyclamen. It stopped flowering a while ago, and now the leaves are going a very pale colour.

How do I continue to care for it now that it isn't flowering? I'm not very good with houseplants!

Jo.

• Views: 1171
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 1st March 2009 11:00
  • Last reply: Tue. 3rd March 2009 21:53

Bringing a houseplant home

Tip from Angela Rahe-Blomfield

My tip, which I had to figure out the hard way, is that whenever you purchase a plant from one of the DIY stores, always replant them into a slightly larger pot when you get home. They have usually overgrown the small pot that you have purchased them in and you will notice them drastically perk up within a day of repotting.

• Views: 1350
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sun. 16th September 2007 09:07

Feeding Houseplants

Comment from pamela gray

My tip is to use the type of feed that has to be used every time a plant is watered - less likely to froget!

• Views: 1085
  • Posted: Tue. 11th September 2007 09:34
  • Last reply: Tue. 11th September 2007 17:53