OK
In progress indicator

Garden Landscaping and Design Forum Event

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Shoot hosts a regular online 'garden landscaping and design' forum event with award-winning garden design and landscape professionals from the Association of Professional Landscapers (APL) and Society of Garden Designers (SGD). Three times RHS Chelsea Flower Show Gold medal winner joined our last forum! See all the answers to previous forums below.

Total number of topics in this forum: 278

Climber for a rendered wall?

Question from Miranda Pender

A couple of years ago, I planted a Parthenocissus henryana against a north-facing, cream-painted wall, as I thought the foliage would look good against this light background, especially in autumn. However, although the plant has grown well, it refuses to cling to the rendered surface, and has to be supported, which is not the effect I was hoping to achieve. I am thinking about replanting it against a plain wooden fence, where even if it doesn't look so dramatic, it will be able to do its cling-thing properly. But are there any self-supporting climbers that can cope with a north-facing rendered wall? Or will anything I grow against it need support?

• Views: 1034
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Fri. 20th March 2009 22:06
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd March 2009 12:16

Evergreens for jungle/tropical garden.

Question from karen everiss

I have a newly designed small jungle/ tropical garden. I would like some suggestions on evergeens that work hard for themselves that would fit in all year that dont take up much room!
Thankyou
Karen.

• Views: 1455
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 20th March 2009 21:03
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd March 2009 12:18

Shady vegetables/fruit

Question from Fi

Hallo, what a marvellous opportunity!
I have a shady but fertile site, rather dry, north-facing approx 2m x 3m. Are there any vegetables and/or fruit bushes or trees that will grow there?
Also, I want to make a feature of an Amelanchier Lanarkii in the garden, how much spread must I allow?
Thanks Fiona
Sat morning 10.44 Is anyone there? I can't see any activity?

• Views: 915
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Fri. 20th March 2009 20:51
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd March 2009 17:24

Nuisance Caravan

Question from Roy B'ham UK

Hi,

Could you please advise me what I could use to hide an ugly caravan, (see image), I have thought of Bamboo but it would have to perch on a small ledge around the fish pond, also would bamboo survive in a pot long term? Then there is the danger of plant food leaching into the pond killing the fish.

Thanks in advance.

Roy.

• Views: 962
  • Posted: Fri. 20th March 2009 20:29
  • Last reply: Sat. 21st March 2009 23:30

Cordylines

Question from Roy B'ham UK

I grew some cordyline australis from seeds from my tree at home then transplanted them up my allotment, I have been told I must remove them as they are approx 6ft tall.

Question is when is it the best time to dig them up and will it break my back trying and are there deep roots? There are eight of them plus a 6ft Formium.

Many thanks Roy

• Views: 2014
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Fri. 20th March 2009 20:11
  • Last reply: Sun. 22nd March 2009 01:10

Finishing off extension

Question from Claire Weeks

We had an extension built a couple of years ago and, as you can see, the area to the front of it is very unsightly at the base of the wall. The ground is full of a mixture of clay soil and builder's rubble and the edge of the driveway is broken up so would not form a neat edge for a flowerbed.

Do you have any suggestions either for making the ground suitable for planting (the bed is very shallow and hard to dig) or for some hard material to cover it e.g. shingle.

Ideally, I would like something to look colourful and welcoming as it is at the front of the house. The aspect is east-facing and it only gets a small amount of sun first thing in the morning.

Thank you for your help.

Claire

• Views: 867
  • Posted: Fri. 20th March 2009 18:36
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd March 2009 12:22

Ground Elder

Question from Kate Badham

I have ground elder coming up everywhere. I keep digging it out but of course the runners are everywhere. It is in my borders and all over the lawn. Any ideas how to rid myself of this please.

• Views: 894
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Fri. 20th March 2009 17:18
  • Last reply: Sun. 15th February 2015 15:34

Traditional London terrace back garden

Question from Irene Johnston

Our daughter and son-in-law have just moved house and the back garden is long and narrow with few existing plants. It's a blank canvas with lots of potential. They have a patio in front of kitchen/living area double doors and a south-west aspect. Any suggestions for good screening plants that don't block out too much light, and also for low shrubs and colourful perennials for a raised bed to go down one side of the garden.

• Views: 1581
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Fri. 20th March 2009 17:06
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd March 2009 17:15

heavy clay

Question from pilar de la lama

what would you recommend in a heavy clay with very hot summers and cold winters? its look like nothing is going to grow up in there!
thanks

• Views: 755
  • Posted: Fri. 20th March 2009 16:58
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd March 2009 12:25

bamboos

Question from pilar de la lama

what are the best conditions in soil and position for a bamboo to be planted instead of being in pots?

• Views: 740
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 20th March 2009 16:55
  • Last reply: Sat. 21st March 2009 10:39