OK
In progress indicator

Garden Landscaping and Design Forum Event

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Shoot hosts a regular online 'garden landscaping and design' forum event with award-winning garden design and landscape professionals from the Association of Professional Landscapers (APL) and Society of Garden Designers (SGD). Three times RHS Chelsea Flower Show Gold medal winner joined our last forum! See all the answers to previous forums below.

Total number of topics in this forum: 278

Patio

Question from Deirdre McCann

Hi

I have a small patio area which is completely bare! I would like to buy a variety of easy to maintain plants with an emphasis on fragrance but also impact- can you help?
Deirdre

• Views: 807
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 15th March 2009 21:30
  • Last reply: Sat. 21st March 2009 11:06

Children-friendly urban garden

Question from Angela Rahe-Blomfield

I have a very small urban garden and expecting a baby very soon. I'd love to be able to plant and enjoy some beautiful flowers this summer and into the fall. Are there any flowers or plants that I should be aware of in terms of toxicity?

• Views: 1110
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Sun. 15th March 2009 20:17
  • Last reply: Mon. 4th April 2011 07:14

Paving over front gardens

Question from Ron Moffatt

I'm aware of new laws restricting the use of paving on front gardens.
Can you recommend any methods/materials etc that can be used to enable some kind of paving to be laid which also allows the rain water to drain through. I've mentioned paving but would consider other types of hard landscaping.

• Views: 686
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 15th March 2009 18:31
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd March 2009 12:34

Urban Foxes

Question from Marcia Rankin

We have an urban fox who likes to sleep on the decking in our back garden, unfortunately the area is starting to smell badly, can you suggest something that will kindly put him off......

• Views: 684
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 15th March 2009 18:14
  • Last reply: Sat. 21st March 2009 10:34

Help for full shade area

Question from j letts

Can you please suggest some shrubs for a patch which is full shade, north facing, sometimes exposed and sometimes dry.

At the moment I have solidago, white lilac, potentilla, geums, physalis and some lilly bulbs in place.

I would like to keep to colours of the rest of the bed which are red, yellow, orange and white.

The soil is well drained and fairly sandy as it was a former dumping ground for a farmer and full of broken pots and stones.

I look forward to any suggestions for brightning up this dreary corner.

A great web site with loads of info for newbies as well as those of us who, although not new need to shout for help sometimes.

Thanking you
Jenny

• Views: 853
  • Posted: Sun. 15th March 2009 13:58
  • Last reply: Fri. 27th March 2009 21:26

Leather jacket infestation on lawn?

Comment from Pauline Cobbold

We bought this house three years ago. The previous owner had just laid a new turf lawn. The following year (2007) we moved some of the turf to create beds and found leather jackets under the grass. We treated it with nematodes but it has continued to look gradually worse over the last 18 months.. Last year I was immobilised on crutches and could do little gardening. Now I am back to speed I want to sort it out if it is not too late. Should we be treating it spring and autumn and what is the most effective? We are at the stage of thinking that if we cant get it back this season we really ought to take it up inthe autumn and replace. It looks like straw for the most part with small areas of green.We have scarified and top dressed and aerated but I feel it is a losing battle.

• Views: 1165
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sat. 14th March 2009 09:00
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd March 2009 12:36

Dogs and gardens!

Question from Dilys

I've been asked for planting and design ideas for a friend's house. They have two dogs, one of which is particularly fond of digging in the garden :(

At the moment they have a low wire trellis edging to the borders, which is ugly. What else could the panel suggest to overcome this problem. They are trying to train the dog!

Thanks.

• Views: 722
  • Posted: Sat. 14th March 2009 08:31
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd March 2009 12:37

dying geraniums and chrysenthumums

Comment from faeza hussain

1.i had about 15 different geraniums which i had to put in the green house in winter but by the end of the winter they all died except of only two which i had inside in my kitchen .what should i do to save them if i want to keep them in green house and havnt got space inside my house .
2. i had a few chrysenthumums .i had put them in green house for the winter but most of them got grey mould ,some turned brown ,other had white lacy stuff on them ...how can i save them .

• Views: 659
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 13th March 2009 23:28
  • Last reply: Sat. 21st March 2009 11:00

hassle of cleaning moulding tiles after winter

Comment from faeza hussain

hi,i have a big problem with the tiles i have next to my garden .area made with tiles is as big as the garden .every year when the summer strarts i have to clean the mould from winter on those tiles one by one with pressure washer which takes ages because i have about 100 big tiles there ....i have tried all the bleach solutions and hard brushes aswell nothing works quicker.please tell me if you u have a better idea.

• Views: 668
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 13th March 2009 23:22
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd March 2009 12:38

Rabbits Eating Bark

Question from Anthony La Monte

I have rabbits eating a thin layer of bark off my burning bushes. What is a cheap way of keeping them away. Something I can make up at home. I will die if they go after my hydrangeas.

Please help. Thank you Anthony

• Views: 694
  • Posted: Fri. 13th March 2009 23:21
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd March 2009 12:39