OK
In progress indicator

Garden Landscaping and Design Forum Event

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Shoot hosts a regular online 'garden landscaping and design' forum event with award-winning garden design and landscape professionals from the Association of Professional Landscapers (APL) and Society of Garden Designers (SGD). Three times RHS Chelsea Flower Show Gold medal winner joined our last forum! See all the answers to previous forums below.

Total number of topics in this forum: 278

How do I make several levels in my garden?

Comment from Elizabeth M Butler

My garden is on a north facing slope. It's quite small 8 x 9 M. The ground naturally undulates and so far I've tried to rough level different parts as it naturally occurs. However I've got arthritis and it's very slippery in winter and spring. with help of friends I have put some sleepers in to try and make little terraces, as these will be easier for me to manage. There is still a lot of rubble and glass after 20 years (it was a new flat) and I just never seem to get any part of it to stay level. As fast as I level it drifts down again. Has anyone got any ideas? In the past log edgings have worked well. I can't lift a flagstone bigger than 16" x 16". My idea is to do a mixture of round and straight levels, with different textures and surfaces. But I don't know how to lay it before I start. I have got a spirit level.

• Views: 653
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Wed. 8th February 2012 11:08
  • Last reply: Mon. 22nd July 2013 20:07

Patterned/Imprinted Concrete

Question from Angie Robertson

Hi All
I am posting this question here on Shoot landscaping forum to get some advice re imprinted/patterned concrete.
I am finding it extremely difficult to find any local contractors here in Edinburgh to landscape my driveway.
I do not want to monoblock the driveway as I have seen so many 'bad' jobs it kinda scares me to spend so much money on it.
Are there any professionals out there able to tell me why this service seems to be no longer available in Scotand, alternatively can anyone recommend a contractor who would be local to the Edinburgh area.
Thank you all. Angie

• Views: 741
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Mon. 30th January 2012 18:01

palm tree

Comment from dorar jaudat

does anyone know where is the best website to buy plants?

Content removed as it breaks house rules

• Views: 580
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 19th December 2011 17:01
  • Last reply: Fri. 2nd March 2012 16:52

landscaping ideas

General post from Arline Ryan

Gardening ideas:
For planning, it is possible to keep the flowers in your garden throughout the duration of growth. Borders and beds are planted with annual and perennial flowers that bloom at different times of year. By choosing carefully at first, and the care of the flowers since then, the flowers overlap each other, so there's never a time when the old blooms disappear, but new one is beginning to show color.

Preparing the soil for flower beds or borders requires greater care than planting a garden. For one thing, digging must be deeper. There is too much to dig the bed 2 feet deep, although 1 1 / 2 feet is adequate. It is, of course, possible to grow flowers in a shallower bed than this, but the deeper you dig, the better your production will be.

All heavy loads should be divided. It's a good idea to spread some sand, ash or bottom ash on the ground to break. It is also possible that work manure, well rotted manure, grass clippings or peat moss in the background. Do not sign the bottom floor down, but let it settle naturally.

Marga it must be used for topsoil, for example, well-rotted manure, humus, peat, compost or well-screened gravel. Wood ashes are fine for spring, and lime can be used to loosen the soil. You might think about the character of its soil and consider the special fertilizer that contains the elements your soil needs. Should the use of manure, be careful not to let it touch the roots of plants.

Should the use of manure, be careful not to let it touch the roots of plants. The color issues should be taken into account when planning flower borders and beds, so that while there is enough contrast in texture and color of flowers, is at the same time, an attractive combination.

A plan for a bed of annuals, for example, could be designed to stress zinnias, with contrast provided by flowers as soft as chrysanthemum, scabiosa, nasturtium, cosmos and candytuft. Location of the flower bed is important. Ideally, it should be near the house, facin

• Views: 660
  • Posted: Thu. 22nd September 2011 12:03
  • Last reply: Mon. 28th November 2011 09:59

weeds & stuff

Comment from dave ayres

Hi
I am new to gardening and last year I put down a lawn from seed its halve of a large allotment the lawn is 33ft x 18ft . I have got quite a lot of clover and chick weed on it.
can you give me any advice on how to clear it .or what product to put on it. I also have a dog so it needs to be pet friendly.

• Views: 894
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 1st September 2011 09:57
  • Last reply: Sat. 3rd September 2011 10:56

About grass

Comment from lima

My question is i want to install artifical grass in my garden and the people of www.jardineriamarve.net talk me about a last generation of artificial grass with good price, but im not convinced about that, therefore I would like to know your opinion about artificial grass? is better than the natural grass?

• Views: 1148
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 1st July 2011 06:14
  • Last reply: Sun. 21st August 2011 12:15

I was inspired by this Wollerton garden

Comment from Natasha Jaeger

I am still in the process of redesigning the garden, and looking for new ideas. So I was browsing links from The Telegraph website, and came across this beautiful garden website with many good size photos. http://www.wollertonoldhallgarden.com/garden.html

• Views: 745
  • Posted: Mon. 16th May 2011 15:45
  • Last reply: Mon. 31st October 2011 17:41

Wildflowers

Comment from Candy Blackham

I have planted a new hedge which is next to a pavement and very bare around the edges - I know it will eventually thicken out - and so would like to plant some wild flowers along its 'feet'. They will need to be reasonably robust and substantial; I also plan to put in some bulbs in the autumn. Are there any suggestions?

• Views: 964
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Tue. 22nd March 2011 08:23
  • Last reply: Tue. 18th October 2011 07:33

Mediterranean garden

Question from Jacky White

We've just decided to create a 'Mediterranean Garden' over what is a septic tank. There is already a Hebe and a ground-spreading blueish fir. The aspect is very sunny and dry. The area is Cornwall. We are planning to put down small pebbles. What plants would look best? We are thinking of grasses and osteospernum

• Views: 2571
  • Replies: 10
  • Posted: Sat. 4th September 2010 02:40
  • Last reply: Wed. 8th February 2012 11:18

Landscaping with trees

Comment from Pernah

Hi all, I'm a keen gardener that has turned clueless! I got carried away buying trees to lanscape my garden for privacy, wildlife and amenity value, however, I've most likely brought too many and now not sure how far apart I should plant them? I would like to plant the following along the boundary next to highway- Crimson King next to Parrotia Persica with 6-7 metres distance between; an evergreen Rhysphylloa Oak 5 metres away from Parrotia and Grandiflora 'Victoria' 4 metres away from oak (image 2); 7 metres from the Rhysphylloa Oak I plan to have - Banksiana Pine 4 metres away from Cedrus Aurea, which will be approx. 3 metres away from Acer Griseum, which leads to Arbutus Unedo about 3 metres away - all 4 creating a rombus type shape (image 1). In the side garden 7 metres away from Rhysphylloa Oak - Ilex Handsorth 4 metres from Sequia 'Goldrush' 3 metres away from Cornubia, which is aprrox. 3 metres from Forest Pansy, which will be 3 metres away from another Cornubia (image 3) (I still have Ilex Silver Queen, JC Van Tol, Honey Locust, Rowan Embley, Rowan Joseph Rock, 2 Witch haxels and 2 Cornubia's being trained into a tree). Any tips on planting distance and suggestions on whether I have the right trees next to each other would be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance and look forward to your comments/replies. Happy gardening!

• Views: 784
  • Posted: Sun. 8th August 2010 17:59
  • Last reply: Fri. 22nd October 2010 12:29