OK
In progress indicator

Lawns

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 46

How to remove bark from Garden and grow grass

Question from Michael

Please can someone assist, i need to remove bark which resides on top of soil and grow a new lawn..

• Views: 90
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sun. 4th June 2017 19:40

Turning around turf

Question from Tamara

Hi, my turf is a sorry state. The plot is on new developed land with clay underneath. I want to roll out new turf and need to remove and level the ground before starting. To save money and maybe some labor I have read you can turn turn around turf and it will decompose to soil after a few weeks. Is this true?

• Views: 275
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 5th March 2017 12:29
  • Last reply: Mon. 6th March 2017 07:24

Lawn care

Question from Crianza

I'm seeing mossy patches on the lawn which are a recent problem.
When is the best time to tackle this and what should I use ?

• Views: 184
  • Posted: Tue. 1st November 2016 17:22

Lawn care

Question from Crianza

I'm seeing mossy patches on the lawn which are a recent problem.
When is the best time to tackle this and what should I use ?

• Views: 95
  • Posted: Tue. 1st November 2016 17:22

Eradicate Asparagus from growing thru a lawn

Question from Lynne

Hi again Mother had laid lawn where Asparagus used to grow, but in time they have grown back, but she liked the fern type plant it made, but now she want's it out as it's making a mess of the lawn, it's in the middle of lawn, so do I just try and dig it out as much as I can, an/or is there something I could put on the roots when I find them to kill them off completely without ruining the lawn and anything else in the vicinity. Kind Rgds Lynne

• Views: 159
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 1st August 2016 09:24
  • Last reply: Wed. 3rd August 2016 07:19

Eeeeeek! My lawn just died!

General post from Lisa Hargreaves

Dear People,
My poor son was taken ill and had to spend a few days in the children's hospital, all well now, just an awful case of "viral wheeze". We had the glorious and tremendously hot weather during this time and now my South facing unshaded lawn is almost white!
We moved here 8 months ago and the lawn has always been rubbish, it was mostly moss and very weedy patchy. A few months ago I treated it with evergreen. My husband gave it a few severe rakings and we were astonished at how much debris came up. It looked rather patchy and bald after that, so I aerated it with funky shoes from Amazon and reseeded. Ironically, the reseeded bits are lush! They do happen to be in slight shade from shrubs though. I've just drenched the lawn over the last 2 evenings and fed it sone plant food... Will it recover? We're in a very sandy area (Southport) and the soil isn't the best. What more can I do?

• Views: 324
  • Posted: Mon. 6th June 2016 21:49

Laying new lawn over existing with heavy clay base

Comment from Giuseppe Orlando

This is my first post and I'm not got green fingered as such but capable none the less, please go easy. I've completely overhauled the rear garden from it's previous council slabbed look. I'm on the end task now and probably the most important to really set it off, the lawn.

Basically I'm reading a lot of conflicting views, loam, manure, soil. rotavate, don't rotavate, fetch the old lawn up etc etc.

As I live in Stoke on Trent the soil is predominately clay (we are known as "clay-heads" after all). The lawn has been raised by 7" in places in others it is only 2"-3". We live on a bank, the 2nd house from the end, so water will naturally run through our land, evident from the last lawn as it was mainly moss with plenty of dips sitting very wet during the winter, and summers of late!

So far I have killed the lawn with glyphosphate and dug out at the back bringing the soil down to build it up near to to the new level I want.

I was then planning on adding 2-3" of sharp sand to aid drainage compacting the lot to my new level and laying the new turf.

Can anyone see why this would harm the new lawn or not?

To finish, I have read on the RHS surrounding clay soils that golf courses lay there turn on sand bases and there grass is pretty green.

many thanks in advance.

Giuseppe

• Views: 262
  • Posted: Sat. 21st May 2016 12:13

Should I cut grass before applying autumn fertiliser?

Question from Anne Marie Telford

I have bought autumn lawn fertilizer. Should I avoid cutting the grass before and after application? If so -for how long?

• Views: 639
  • Posted: Tue. 16th September 2014 07:05
  • Last reply: Tue. 16th September 2014 07:36

Question from Garry Pelka

My lawn isnt the worst in the world with the main problem being weeds and small plants growing in it but i havent fed it for 2 years since moving in or done anything else to improve or even maintain it other than cut it regularly. I now want to put some more effort in but not being the most patient person in the world, just wondering if people could give me tips and maybe estimate how long they think it might take me to get the lawn looking nice? (Am guessing this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question but...)

• Views: 310
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 3rd July 2014 10:25
  • Last reply: Thu. 3rd July 2014 12:22

Automatic irrigation

General post from Andrea Alman

I am looking to install an automatic irrigation system and would like to know if anyone here is using this. Have you installed it yourselves or did you get a company to do it? I am trying to avoid mistakes and would be grateful for any hints and tips around this topic. Looking forward to your replies :) Thanks!!

• Views: 389
  • Posted: Sat. 14th June 2014 11:33
  • Last reply: Sat. 14th June 2014 18:08