In progress indicator

Hostas - are they alive?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Laura Thomas

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have 2 hostas (So Sweet) in pots which died back over winter but there is still no sign of growth on them yet. Is it too early or have they died?

My 'Jack Frost' Brunnera is just putting up leaves so had expected to see something from the hostas.

Would appreciate some advice

thanks -
Laura

• Views: 1110
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Fri. 6th March 2009 19:34

Hostas

Reply from Georgie

Hi Laura

I planted three bare-rooted Hostas in the autunm in pots and today I noticed two of them have tiny shoots appearing. But it's early days so I'd give yours a while yet before you give up hope.

Georgie

• Posted: Sat. 7th March 2009 19:35

Encouragement

Reply from Laura Thomas

thanks for your encouragement Georgie - fingers crossed they will re-emerge but checking today, still no sign of life :(

Actually I've never had much luck with Hostas when planted in the garden so kept them in pots this year!

Laura

• Posted: Sat. 7th March 2009 22:15

Hoping for Hosta

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Laura,
I agree with Georgie - don't give up hope. I remember quite a few springs when I was worried my hostas were gone for good but they always came back - even ones hidden under the foliage of Hellebores all winter. If they don't come back (which I really think they will) I think there are two things that would have killed them over winter - if the pots froze and/or they did not get enough moisture. Even though dormant, they would still need some moisture over the winter since they are in pots. Good luck and let us know when they pop up!
Kathy C

• Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 06:30

Hope springs eternal

Reply from Laura Thomas

glad to say that 2 of the 3 hostas have just put in an appearance. Thanks for the advice Kathy - am ensuring they do not dry out and fortunately I did keep the pots in a sheltered postion.

Laura

• Posted: Mon. 23rd March 2009 14:05

Good news

Reply from Georgie

Bet you're dead chuffed now, Laura. Don't give up on the last one!

Georgie

• Posted: Mon. 23rd March 2009 17:52

and finally...

Reply from Laura Thomas

...the third one is just now coming through Georgie - perhaps I need to cultivate a more patient/less anxious approach to gardening. So yes I am chuffed :)

thanks,

Laura

• Posted: Sat. 28th March 2009 11:23

Hurray

Reply from Georgie

Well done Laura. The three I'm growing (Hostas are new to me too) are all showing signs of growth now. They were billed as 'slug resistant' but yesterday one furled leaf on 'Invincible' had been almost completely chewed through. :( Not very well named is it?

Georgie

• Posted: Sat. 28th March 2009 17:57