In progress indicator

Can anyone please identify this plant?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Carol Halpin

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I found this in my garden when I moved in. As I'm now in the process of total renovation (!!) I had to put it in a pot where it seems to be thriving (the pot is in part shade). I'd love to know what it is so that I can re-plant in the best growing conditions

Can anyone please identify this plant? (20/11/2011)Can anyone please identify this plant? (20/11/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 717
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Sun. 20th November 2011 11:18

Re: Can anyone please identify this plant?

Reply from becky hutton

Hi Carol,

Your plant is a Euphorbia, and looks like a cultivar called 'Silver Swan'

• Posted: Sun. 20th November 2011 12:18

Reply from Seasons Gardening

Hi,

it looks like a Euphorbia to me,
you can easily identify them by pulling off a little leaf. If a white sap appears from the wound then it is most likely a member of the Euphorbia family, watch out though, the sap is irritating to the skin! Looking at the size and leaf it could be Euphorbia characias. There are thousands of Euphorbia varieties, so hard to tell which one exactly, but the Euphorbia characias mostly like full sun and well drained soil.

Kind regards,
Franne

• Posted: Sun. 20th November 2011 12:21

Reply from Nicola

Thanks so much Becky & Franne!

Hi Carol - here are the Euphorbia listed in Shoot. Hope that helps! Nicola

• Posted: Sun. 20th November 2011 12:37

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

I cannot pass up this opportunity to warn people of the extreme negative reaction you can suffer from this plant, I suffered from anaphylactic shock due to the sap of this plant on my skin, obviously not everyone is allergic to the plant.

• Posted: Sun. 20th November 2011 17:09

Reply from Carol Halpin

Sorry for the delay in replying - been too excited over the arrival of my first grandchild! Many thanks to all who replied and for the advice about it being an irritant - at least I know where to plant it now!
By the way, what a terrific site - have found out so many new things and I love the inspirational gardens section!

• Posted: Mon. 28th November 2011 09:09