In progress indicator

Prunus laurocerasus

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Ray

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Can Prunus laurocerasus be used as a low border edging plant instead of Box Sempervens and if so what is the minimum height recommended. Will there be a problem with "Runners"
Ray

• Views: 1116
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Sun. 8th January 2012 23:27

Re: Prunus laurocerasus

Reply from Ciaran Flood

I would not
Leaves are to big and laurel is very vigorous . There are varieties of

Ligustrum or illex that can look good
Also if you have acid soil and live in a mild area
Myrtle

• Posted: Mon. 9th January 2012 08:34

Re: Re: Prunus laurocerasus

Reply from Ray

Hi Ciaran,Penny and Judi - Many thanks for your help and advice. I must apologies for the delay in replying to you but circumstances presently are causing me computer difficulties.If you would be kind enough to look at "My Garden"i would be greatful if could you identify the large cone trees and the low border hedging underneath, Regards Ray raycarthy@gmail.com

• Posted: Wed. 25th January 2012 00:20

Re: Re: Prunus laurocerasus

Reply from Ray

Hi Ciaran,Penny and Judi - Many thanks for your help and advice. I must apologies for the delay in replying to you but circumstances presently are causing me computer difficulties.If you would be kind enough to look at "My Garden"i would be greatful if could you identify the large cone trees and the low border hedging underneath, Regards Ray raycarthy@gmail.com

• Posted: Wed. 25th January 2012 00:20

Re: Re: Re: Prunus laurocerasus

Reply from Penny Busby

Hi Ray, I'm guessing the low hedge is Box and that the conical plants are too, but I can only see the photograph as a small picture, so I can't be sure.

I see that the Cherry Laurel you're considering at is a compact form "Otto Luyken" which has small leaves, and whilst it only reaches about 3ft, it can spread to 5ft., so I'm still not sure it would make a small "edging" hedge.

• Posted: Wed. 25th January 2012 07:43

Reply from Penny Busby

Hi Ray,
I agree with Ciaran, that generally Cherry Laurel would be too large a plant for an edging plant, plus it would take too much water and nutrients out of the soil for other plants nearby.

If your site is sunny and free-draining (not too cold and wet in winter) English lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) can make an attractive low hedge or a small form of Hebe.

• Posted: Mon. 9th January 2012 09:43

Reply from Judi Samuels Garden Design

Hi Ray, how high would you like your hedge to be? There are so many wonderful evergreen options that give colour and / or berries for winter interest.. For further inspiration have a look at www.hedgenursery.co.uk, they have a wonderful array of hedging plants. Enjoy and look forward to hearing about your choice. Best wishes, Judi.. :-)

• Posted: Tue. 10th January 2012 07:10