OK
In progress indicator

Need help with shade planting under trees, please.

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Jo

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I would really appreciate some help selecting shrubs/perennials/ferns for a north facing walled corner bed. The bed is approx 2.5m x 11m and has several trees in it, silver birch, flowering cherry, tulip tree?, flowering plum, and an ash! The bed has been raised and the original soil level with it (I propose to put collars and gravel around the tree trunks) I would like to use evergreens as much as possible but am not sure what to use for structure/height/shape, any ideas?
p.s my colour pallet is white/pink/blues/purples etc

Need help with shade planting under trees, please. (22/01/2012)Need help with shade planting under trees, please. (22/01/2012)Need help with shade planting under trees, please. (22/01/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1524
  • Replies: 16
  • Posted: Sun. 22nd January 2012 14:58

Re: Need help with shade planting under trees, please.

Reply from Ena Ronayne

Jo you have a huge selection of fab plants to choose from for a Nth facing bed. Why not try some architectural Euphorbias, Hellebores and Ferns for starters? Fill with bulbs such as daffs, anemones, crocus for now or whatever bulbs are left in your local garden centre / nursery. Let me know how you get on

Ena Ronayne
The Garden Design Co
http://www.thegardendesignco.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/thegardendesignco

Re: Need help with shade planting under trees, please. (22/01/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sun. 22nd January 2012 16:10

Re: Re: Need help with shade planting under trees, please.

Reply from Jo

Thanks for your response, I will look at everything you suggested. I am just unsure what i can put in the very back corner behind the silver birch. One other thing i should mention, my colour pallet is white/pink/blues/purples etc.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd January 2012 16:50

Re: Re: Re: Need help with shade planting under trees, please.

Reply from Penny Busby

What is your soil like? If it's acidic, you could have Pieris, Skimmia, Camellia or Rhododendron. Otherwise, Viburnum, Osmanthus, Fatsia, Sarcococca.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd January 2012 17:43

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help with shade planting under trees, please.

Reply from Jo

I'd say it's pretty neutral with a very slight leaning towards acid. Will these shrubs be happy planted around the tree roots?

• Posted: Sun. 22nd January 2012 18:33

Reply from Linsey Evans

Daphne odora aureomarginata is a great shrub for shade, it won't get too huge and has fabulous scent in winter. Same goes for Skimmia japonica (I love 'Fragrant Cloud'). Osmanthus heterophyllus Goshiki will grow in shade, it can get quite big but you can keep it pruned.

For the edges you can't beat Epimediums they are semi-evergreen (I cut the leaves off mine around February so you can see their amazing tiny fragrant flowers coming through). They love dry shade. Brunnera 'Jack Frost' is also a brilliant edging plant for shade. Also, Hellebores. As Ena said there are some amazing ferns - I particluarly love Dryopteris Erythrosora and Polystichum Setiferum - both are semi-evergreen. Ajuga makes a great ground cover and edging plant.

Hope this helps.
Linsey
www.linseysgardens.com
www.gardendesign.blogspot.com

• Posted: Sun. 22nd January 2012 17:25

Reply from Jo

Thank you so much for your help, I love the look of the Daphne odora aureomarginata, and all your other suggestions sound perfect. One other question if i may, what climbers will survive well on this north wall + some arches, between the house and wall, where there won't be much light.

Re: Re: Need help with shade planting under trees, please. (22/01/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sun. 22nd January 2012 23:29

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Hydrangea petiolaris will do well in the shade, try honeysuckle, get a small one and see how it does, but the hydrangea will definitely make it another one is akebia quinata, Boston ivy, parthenocissus species, find one that does not take over, I think P. henryana is a good one, not sure of all the spellings but you look them up yourself.

• Posted: Mon. 23rd January 2012 00:32

Reply from Linsey Evans

Vitis coignetiae is wonderful - loves the shade, huge leaves (non fruiting), fab autumn colour - deciduous, but worth it. I've also grown Vitis vinifera atropurpurea in shade too. Clematis armandii will either grow fabulously or die - it's a bit like that, it should do really well in dry shade and sometimes does, but sometimes just doesn't (for no discernable reason). Someone else has said hydrangea petiolaris which is perfect. Loads of Clematis will grow in the shade - check on Shoot check labels to see which ones won't mind. Trachelospermum jasminoides will grow in shade and is a great (eventually vigorous) evergreen climber with white scented flowers in summer. I have also grown Actinidia kolomikta (fab leaves which look like they've been dipped in sugar pink paint) in shade - it's worth a go as its such a good plant. Wisteria will grow in shade. Itea illicifolia is a wall shrub with long catkins (like garrya) which will grow in shade but is a bit of a slow starter.

How about some flowering quince (Chaenomeles) 'Geisha Girl' is pretty if you don't want red or orange. Or a nicely trimmed cotoneaster is predictable, but pretty. You can also train Garrya elliptica as a wall shrub and it looks fantastic - great tassels for winter interest, grey leaves - it's a bit slow to establish.

If I think of any others I'll post again.

Linsey

• Posted: Mon. 23rd January 2012 08:02

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help with shade planting under trees, please.

Reply from Jo

A fabulous list, thank you so much, you have been really helpful. Jo

• Posted: Mon. 23rd January 2012 08:20

Reply from Penny Busby

Hi Jo,
I agree with Ena's suggestions for small to medium evergreen plants for shade, plus Epimedium, Brunnera and Tiarella.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd January 2012 17:45

Reply from Penny Busby

And I agree with Linsey's suggestions.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd January 2012 17:58

Reply from Robert Kennett - Garden Designer

Clipped box will work in even deep shade.

One of the best plants for north wall though would be Sarcococca humilis. Plant en masse as a large block. The scent in the early spring is fabulous. And it's a nice, neat evergreen shrub.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd January 2012 19:58

Reply from Jo

Thank you very much for your suggestions, Sarcococca humilis will definitely be going in.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd January 2012 23:15

Reply from Robert Kennett - Garden Designer

Could I just ask, have you built the curved retaining wall yourself or did you get a landscape firm in to do that? Did anyone design the wall?

• Posted: Mon. 23rd January 2012 09:10

Reply from Jo

I designed it.

• Posted: Mon. 23rd January 2012 09:19

Reply from smithrick

Attached box will work in even deeply colour. One of the best vegetation for northern walls though would be Sarcococca humilis. Place en load as a large prevent. The smell in the may is incredible. And it's a awesome, awesome time tested flower. http://sierrastructures.com

• Posted: Mon. 10th September 2012 17:30