In progress indicator

Wind Break

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from tara mclaren

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

For the last two years the taller perennials in my front garden have ended up flattened or with a permanent list to the side due to the unusually high winds. This is in my front garden which faces south with the wind from the west. The house is in a row of cottages at the top of a hill. I have a four foot stone wall on two sides. There is an empty floor bed directly in front of the wall then a small path and a larger floor bed. I was wondering how I could protect my plants from the wind. Should I plant a hedge beside the wall. I am planning to plant small box hedges around the outside of the beds but don't know if they would be too small to help. Or should I just give up and move my taller plants round to the back garden?

• Views: 1019
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 29th January 2012 16:11

Re: Wind Break

Reply from Judi Samuels Garden Design

Hi Tara, I wonder if you could post us a photo as well. I was listening to Gardeners World on Radio 4 yesterday and Bob Flowerdew was talking about this very thing with the other panelists. As Bob suggested yesterday in GW, do consider using Leylandii because they are very hardy and wind resisting, excellent screening and if kept well pruned (Annually) can be the perfect wind break. Just bear in mind how much space you have for planting and plant growth over the years. You may also wish to consider alternative evergreen planting that brings colour and berries to the front and sides of your house, eg: Photinia or Laurel (of which there are smaller varieties that are both strong and beautiful eg Danae racemosa (Alexandrian laurel). You could try alternate planting because the Leylandii roots will act as anchors in the ground. Mixed planting will give great visual interest, have you visited (online) Hedge Nursery? They have a wonderful array of hedging options.
Best wishes, Judi.. :-)

• Posted: Mon. 30th January 2012 07:25

Re: Wind Break

Reply from tara mclaren

Hi Judy thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about pine trees as I wouldn't trust myself with a chain saw and would worry about them getting too tall. However I will check out the web site you mentioned. I am thinking about Hornbeam or hawthorn. However my main concern is will it work when there is a four foot wall in front of it? I had read that wind needs to be able to go through things and not to be stopped or it will to up and then fall sharply creating a vortex affect. Will the wall scupper the wind break effect of the hedge? I will try to post a picture soon thanks for your help it is appreciated

• Posted: Mon. 30th January 2012 22:58