In progress indicator

Cleaning and Sterilizing Gardening Tools

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Penny Busby

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I was wondering how other Shoot members clean and sterilize their pruners / secateurs to keep them in good working order and to prevent spreading diseases and pests.

I use WD40 for general cleaning and oiling, and sometimes soak old tools in a solution of Jeyes Fluid, but I don't want to damage the new tools I've recently bought ready for the new gardening year.

• Views: 919
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Fri. 3rd February 2012 09:08

Re: Cleaning and Sterilizing Gardening Tools

Reply from Paul Gaffikin

Hi, I would suggest a biodegradable soap for general cleaning and a alcohol hand rub (like they use i hospitals etc) for your cutting tools after cleaning them should kill any viruses. WD40 for keeping parts moving is fine, though I would still reccomend making sure everything is dried before storage,

Paul.

• Posted: Fri. 3rd February 2012 12:06

Reply from Ann Marie Hendry

I also use WD40 to keep moving parts oiled, but I use plain old vegetable oil along with a brillo pad to scrub metal parts eg lopper and spade blades and keep them free of rust. The veg oil is great for wooden handles too.

• Posted: Fri. 3rd February 2012 13:05

Reply from Penny Busby

Thank you Paul and Ann for your replies.

Paul, I'd heard about the hand rub - it sounds like a good idea. I understand it would be effective against bacteria (and viruses?), but would it kill fungal infections too?

Ann, I like the idea of saving some money by using vegetable oil instead of WD40 all the time.

• Posted: Sat. 4th February 2012 20:23