In progress indicator

Medium sized conifer

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Liz Davidson

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I am looking for a hardy conifer that can provide some screening. Do not want leylandii- but something that will not require much maintenance but will provide screening. The site is full sun from midday in summer . Am thinking of Thuja Smaragd but wondering if it will be tall enough? Do you have any suggestions?

• Views: 803
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 14th March 2012 20:42

Re: Medium sized conifer

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

You don't mention how tall you would like the conifer to be nor how wide. Thuja is a good one, slow for me. I like Cryptomeria 'Segan sugi' or if you need a smaller one black dragon. Cham. obtusa gracilis is beautiful. I like these conifers because they are self cleaning in the center. I hope that helps you a little, there are too many conifers to choose from. It is nice to have something that will shed the snow, instead of them opening up or tying them up.

• Posted: Thu. 15th March 2012 00:10

Re: Medium sized conifer

Reply from Liz Davidson

Thank you very much for the info on Thuja Smaragd. I have decided to go for it and am getting some mature specimens planted next week. as I need instant privacy.
Last year I planted some young yew bushes in the hope of eventually having some cone shaped topiary. Am wondering now if anyone can give me any tips on when / how to trim young plants so they will grow into a tight cone shape.
In return I can give some tips on heathers as I have two substantial heather beds and know a lot about what is good / length of flowering season / habits etc.

• Posted: Sun. 18th March 2012 19:04