In progress indicator

Arum maculatum - Very Invasive

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Peter Beighton

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to eradicate this invasive plant from a garden ? This is my experience:

This appears to be a very invasive plant and is beginning to take over the garden. It is coming up in new places every year even though I never let a plant get to the berry forming stage.
i) Digging out is almost impossible as it has very deep bulbs and the main bulbs seem to be surrounded by other very tiny bulbs which can easily get left behind in the soil.
ii) It does not seem to react to glyphosate. I thought I was having some success by rubbing the glyphosate into the waxy leaves with rubber gloves (the plant is poisonous as well as the glyphosate) but the plants came back the following year.

• Views: 1386
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sat. 17th March 2012 09:03

Re: Arum maculatum - Very Invasive

Reply from Karon Sanders

Peter do you have your chemical handling licence? If so you require Glycophate 360 a very powerful form, not weak as in the over the counter versions, if you don'y it is worth paying a licensed person to come in and hit it by weed wiping Spring when they are in full lush growth and in the summer for any regrowth. Link to the manufacturers site http://www.dowagro.com/uk/products/prod/glyph360.htm
Good Luck

• Posted: Sat. 17th March 2012 09:28

Re: Re: Arum maculatum - Very Invasive

Reply from Peter Beighton

Karon,
I don't have such a license but will definitely look into your suggestion. Thank you.

• Posted: Sun. 18th March 2012 09:07