OK
In progress indicator

Vitis vinifera 'Sauvignon Blanc' (Grape 'Sauvignon Blanc' )??

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Julie burns

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi, I have just ordered the above and it says on this site that the fruit is suitable for wine-making and desserts and the plant is toxic. I was hoping to eat the grapes and use the leaves for cooking, would this not be possible or am I just being a bit dim? Can anyone recommend a variety that would be suitable if these are not?
Thank you!

  • Views: 601
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 1st May 2012 16:30

Re: Vitis vinifera 'Sauvignon Blanc' (Grape 'Sauvignon Blanc' )??

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Julie,
I was intrigued by your post so had to check the plant page for 'Sauvignon Blanc' out for myself because I know grape leaves are edible. I didn't see anything on the plant's page that stated it was toxic for consumption. It does say under toxicity that contact may irritate skin because the hairs on the leaves can cause skin reactions on some people. I guess that is why it is recommended to always boil/cook the leaves before consuming.

Kathy C

  • Posted: Wed. 2nd May 2012 17:53

Re: Re: Vitis vinifera 'Sauvignon Blanc' (Grape 'Sauvignon Blanc' )??

Reply from Julie burns

Hi Kathy, on the left it said this plant is toxic and I didn't understand
exactly what that meant, I am new to growing grapes and wasn't sure if only specific varieties were used for their leaves. Thank you for your help.

  • Posted: Thu. 3rd May 2012 06:40