In progress indicator

Corylopsis pauciflora

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Palustris Catz

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

This is a close up of the flower from this spring shrub. Lightly scented like a primrose.

Corylopsis pauciflora

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 962
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Thu. 12th March 2009 15:57

Gorgeous Corylopsis

Reply from Kathy C

Love, love, love Corylopsis! I used to have a C. spicata many gardens ago and was always rewarded with gorgeous yellow tassles in late winter. Yours is equally delightful and makes me realise how much I miss my winter garden! Have you ever tried Chimonanthus praecox (Wintersweet)? It's another winter/early spring bloomer with pale yellow, sometimes translucent blooms and a strong, sweet fragrance. Thanks for posting!
Kathy C.

• Posted: Thu. 12th March 2009 20:53

Chimonanthus praecox

Reply from Palustris Catz

We did try this, but it is too tender for us here. Even the Corylopsis has rarely flowered over the last 10 years or so.

• Posted: Thu. 12th March 2009 21:40

Wintersweet

Reply from Kathy C

Wow, I'm surprised. I used to live on the east coast of the US where snow and freezing conditions (including frozen ground) is the norm during the winter and both Chimonanthus and Corylopsis faired well. How far north are you?

• Posted: Thu. 12th March 2009 23:42

Chimonanthus

Reply from Palustris Catz

It is not the Winter which causes the problems, other than that we are in a part of England which has the lowest recorded temperature, rather it is the fact that we can and do get frost almost every month of the year. What kills off any plant which is not totally wind proof is a freezing wind which sweeps across the garden in April. It does not come every year, but when it does we get no Plums or Damsons or Pears as it freezes the blossom. The temeperature can drop in a few hours by 10 to 15 degrees centigrade.

• Posted: Fri. 13th March 2009 10:27