In progress indicator

Mahonia Charity

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Catherine Tanser

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Dear Shoot, In January we bought a Mahonia Charity, a large one which came over from Italy and cost £180. It has shown absolutely no new growth despite all the rain. Also, our gardener planted it in a sumnny spot. Is it going to be ok?

• Views: 824
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sat. 12th May 2012 10:53

Re: Mahonia Charity

Reply from Angie Robertson

Hi Catherine....
I am interested in joining this topic. I planted a Mahonia x media charity in January also. Admittedly it cost a fraction of your more mature specimen, it has shown no sign of growth either.
One thing I do know is that larger specimens do take longer to settle into their new habitat than younger plants. It could be just sulking! I would also think that due to the size of your specimen - rain alone would not be suffice in the water department.
I was also under the impression that Mahonia prefer a bit of shade - all the best ones I have seen get some shade. I do of course stand to be corrected.
I hope someone else can add to this and set our minds at rest.
Cheers, Angie

• Posted: Mon. 14th May 2012 15:53

Re: Re: Mahonia Charity

Reply from Catherine Tanser

Thank you Angie. I will give it more water and maybe some liquid tonic and hope for the best.

Catherine

• Posted: Thu. 17th May 2012 20:05

Re: Mahonia Charity

Reply from Katherine Simmonds

I also have this mahonia, and although it is in part shady, which I thought it preferred, it doesn't seem to be growing at all. It looks healthy enough, but just a bud of flowers, no real blossoms. Any ideas?

• Posted: Sat. 1st February 2014 10:57

Re: Re: Mahonia Charity

Reply from Angie Robertson

Katharine
It has taken until now for my Mahonia to settle in and produce flowers. It's been magnificent this winter. So I suspect patience is all that is required. You are correct they prefer a part shade situation. I've read that if planted with too much sun the get rather tall and leggy.
I am however having trouble smelling the promised scent.

• Posted: Sun. 2nd February 2014 15:16