In progress indicator

Ugly back wall

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Nicola

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I would like to refinish this back wall. It is nice not to be overlooked, but I have two different finishes to deal with and I want one flush, clean, even surface. What do you recommend?

Also, in terms of creating interest on the wall I was wondering what I could do? I really liked the idea I saw at Chelsea this year. Arabella Lennox-Boyd used some strips of mirror with bamboo planted in front of it to create depth. I would like to keep some of the shrubs however, so I am not sure this is the right solution for this wall. Any other ideas to throw into the mix?

Thanks Nicola

Ugly back wall

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 989
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Fri. 13th March 2009 17:41

Bamboo and mirrored wall

Reply from Nicola

In case anyone is interested this is the wall Arabella created for the Daily Telegraph at Chelsea in 2008.

Bamboo and mirrored wall

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Fri. 13th March 2009 17:43

Ugly back wall

Reply from Debbie Burt

I have no other suggestions Nicola,just wanted to say i think the bamboo and mirrors would look great. I am a big fan of bamboo and have 4 different ones in my garden.

• Posted: Fri. 20th March 2009 16:34

Trellis

Reply from Andrew Tomes

In these situations we use bespoke made trellis on 100mm x 100mm pressure treated softwood posts. I will try to include a photo of a good example. This gives a uniform image and a great vehicle for climbers.

Trellis

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 10:41

Thanks Andrew

Reply from Nicola

Hi Andrew - thanks for the advice. Could I also build a block wall and render it? I like the idea of a flush backgorund to stick some mirror to. Or would it be hard to 'tie' a block wall to the old wall do you think? Cheers Nicola

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 10:45

wall

Reply from Andrew Tomes

Nicola In principle I do nt forsee a technical construction problem except that construction over 2 metres high needs planning permission. From the photo It would be difficult to comment on the state of the wall to tie into. A builder would be able to confirm the detail.
regards Andrew

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 11:44

Re: Trellis

Reply from Pat O'Keefe

Dear Andrew, I have picked up on this Post you entered in March, and I wonder if you can recommend a company that makes Bespoke Trellis. Thank you.

• Posted: Tue. 1st June 2010 16:04

Re: Re: Trellis

Reply from Andrew Tomes

I think the best company is Stuart Architectual trellisage but the stuff in the photo was put together by a local fence maker /woodworker to my spec. Very easy.. 75mm openings ie 100mm centred tile batten 25mm x 32mm preesure treated.. to what ever shape you want.

• Posted: Tue. 1st June 2010 18:57