In progress indicator

Disguising a compost bin

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Joanne 9919

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

At the top of my garden it comes to a point, so I thought it would be ideal to push the compost bin here.

Unfortunately, it can be seen by all, so I want to create some sort of screening in front of it to hide it.

I thought about putting a trellis in front of it and have climbers growing up the trellis, but this part of the garden is very shaded, and it's on the lawn.

Also, I still need access, so the 'screening' would have to be a little way in front of the compost bin to allow access from the side.

Any ideas please?

Jo.

• Views: 5201
  • Replies: 9
  • Posted: Fri. 13th March 2009 18:31

suggestions on disguising a compost bin

Reply from Mark Pumphrey

Hiding compost bins in a garden where space is restricted can be a problem but as you have already suggested a trellis could be used. I would use a painted trellis panel with a small aperture. This will stand out as being dominant and the compost bins behind will disappear as shadow. If you can afford to lose some lawn place a big feature pot in front of the trellis panel and the trellis will turn from a screen to a back-drop.
http://www.broadviewgardendesign.co.uk
http://www.sgd.org.uk

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 10:53

Disguising a compost bin

Reply from Joanne 9919

Thanks Mark.

Any ideas's on what to plant up the trellis?

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 10:58

plants up the trellis

Reply from Mark Pumphrey

If you use a quality trellis such as the type we install from the garden trellis company www.gardentrellis.co.uk you may not need to plant it up as it is a feature in its own right. If you wish to plant it up try using Chaenomeles 'Moerloosei' it will not get too big but will reward you with the most beautiful flowers much like apple blossom.

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 12:07

A living barrier

Reply from Fi

Hi Joanne
I have a buddleia in front of mine. It shields it in the summer and brings butterflies and bees, you cut it down some in the winter but still have some cover, and in March you cut it almost to the ground when you need most access to your compost bin! It soon grows again and repeats the cycle.
Try it, they're very inexpensive and save digging in loads of posts etc.
F x

• Posted: Tue. 24th March 2009 20:19

Buddleia

Reply from Joanne 9919

Thanks for the suggestion Fi.

I do have a Buddleai in my front garden, and they are known for attracting butterflies.

I did like Mark's suggestion of a Chaenomeles 'Moerloosei' . I looked it up and it's really pretty. I'm still undecided yet though.

Jo.

• Posted: Wed. 25th March 2009 15:33

let me know what you use

Reply from Mark Pumphrey

glad you looked up my plant suggestion. It is a lovely plant and not used enough. Let me know what action you choose to implement. Buddleia are very attractive tall shrubs. I have Buddleia Lochinch in my garden which works well adding height and a fragrant pale blue flower next to a pale pink moss rose and variegated miscanthus. Cut it back last weekend (saturday- after getting off computer- thanks Nicola for picking the best day this year for the web chat !!!!) and look forward to seeing it put on some strong new growth providing we can see an improvement again in the weather.

Mark Pumphrey MSGD
http://www.broadviewgardendesign.co.uk
http://www.sgd.org.uk

• Posted: Thu. 26th March 2009 23:36

Might not need to use anything now

Reply from Joanne 9919

I have just (last weekend) got an allotment, so I may not need to disguise the compost bin after all.

I'm wondering whether it would be better to take it down and leave it at the allotment, that way I get my garden back :-).

Jo.

• Posted: Fri. 27th March 2009 13:15

Small compost bin or heap

Reply from Fi

Hi Jo
Personally I would still have a bin or a small heap, even if it's woody prunings - shelter for hedgehogs, solitary bees and loads of other beneficial insects. My frogs shelter in mine too!
Fi

• Posted: Fri. 27th March 2009 19:18

Compost Bin

Reply from Joanne 9919

Hi Fi,

My compost bin is one of those black plastic 'darleks' and it has a bottom on it, so no wildlife such as frog will be able to get in it.

I might take it down to the allotment, but leave plenty of shelter elsewhere for wildlife.

Jo.

• Posted: Sun. 29th March 2009 09:52