In progress indicator

What is wrong with my acer palmatum "taylor"

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from jenneffer dennis

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

The leaves have begun to shrivel up and go brown.It has had plenty of water given the weather.

• Views: 2318
  • Replies: 9
  • Posted: Fri. 18th May 2012 17:35

Re: What is wrong with my acer palmatum "taylor"

Reply from Patricia Jones

These plants need to be sheltered from the wind. If it's in a pot move it into a more sheltered location. If it's in the ground provide a wind break to slow down the wind speed, ( Netting on a frame might help)

• Posted: Fri. 18th May 2012 21:02

Re: Re: What is wrong with my acer palmatum "taylor"

Reply from jenneffer dennis

.....Thank you for your advice. Sadly, my Acer Palmatum Taylor died within 3 weeks' of it being planted - as you informed me - it was down to the severe wind and rain we were having so the leaves simply got scorched until the tree was completely bare! I did inform the nursery where I bought them from that I had a particular windy garden, but was advised that it would be okay there – but obviously not! Anyhow, they kindly took them back. I have since replaced the Acers with a Piers Japonica and Camillia, which I hope will fare better!

• Posted: Thu. 2nd August 2012 14:20

.....Thank you for your advice. Sadly, my Acer Palmatum Taylor died within 3 weeks' of it being planted - as you informed me - it was down to the severe wind and rain we were having so the leaves simply got scorched until the tree was completely bare! I did inform the nursery where I bought them from that I had a particular windy garden, but was advised that it would be okay there – but obviously not! Anyhow, they kindly took them back. I have since replaced the Acers with a Piers Japonica and Camillia, which I hope will fare better!

• Posted: Thu. 2nd August 2012 14:21

Re: What is wrong with my acer palmatum "taylor"

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Jenneffer,
It could be sun scorch - too much intense sun when the leaves were young. A. palmatum is very susceptible to scorch.
Kathy C

• Posted: Sun. 20th May 2012 22:48

Reply from Patricia Jones

Its been pouring with rain and very cold winds.I am assuming Jennifer is in the U.K. We have had precious little in the way of Sun as yet this month.

• Posted: Mon. 21st May 2012 10:11

Re: Re: Re: What is wrong with my acer palmatum "taylor"

Reply from Kathy C

Ah, so it must be the cold winds - leaves of A. palmatum are very susceptible to sun scorch and wind scorch. As well as frost damage if there have been late frosts. They need lots of shelter and tlc when the leaves are unfurling. And, on a side note, one chance, sunny day right as leaves were unfurling could have done it.
Kathy C

• Posted: Thu. 24th May 2012 22:06

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is wrong with my acer palmatum "taylor"

• Posted: Thu. 2nd August 2012 14:22

• Posted: Thu. 2nd August 2012 14:21

• Posted: Thu. 2nd August 2012 14:22