In progress indicator

Evergreen cover for a north facing fence

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Georgie

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi. My garden is only 3m wide. On one side I have a 2m wooden fence with a path next to it. This shady path is covered with pots of assorted shrubs, bulbs, perennials and annuals and the fence posts each have a hanging basket. It looks fine during the summer months as the fence is almost completely hidden. But come late autumn, it looks less impressive. I'd like something to provide a permanent evergreen back drop. I already have a varigated Ivy but what else could I grow? BTW I don't like Clemetis!

Georgie

• Views: 3060
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Fri. 13th March 2009 20:51

Nice hat

Reply from Andrew Tomes

Georgie
I have looked at the picture and a couple of ideas spring to mind. I have sent a photo of the way I have embellished a narrow garden with stylish trellis. There is a shade climbing Hydrangea (petiolaris) but it s deciduous. I wonder whether some bamboo would also help. Plant a few in their pots (they spread... nigra less so) at intervals to create a elegant corridor. Maybe with trellis in between would finish the designed look.

Andrew Tomes

Bell Gardens Ltd Garden Design and Construction
www.bellgardensltd.co.uk
161 Heene Road Worthing West Sussex
BN11 4NY
01903 241687

Nice hat

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 11:07

scuse me butting in

Reply from j letts

Hi Georgie
Have you thought about a jasmine either: officinalle ( white summer flowering), nudiflorum (yellow winter flowering), or a honeysuckle Henri i. They come up ok on my northish facing wall. I have a pair of old iron gates for support. Maybe worth a try.
Great photos of your plants
Jenny

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 19:16

thanks for your suggestions

Reply from Georgie

Hi Jenny

Thanks. Nice ideas but I already have a huge Jasmine on my south facing fence and a Honeysuckle started from a cutting growing through my Forsythia. I guess I'm just difficult to please!

What I really want is something which is evergreen but doesn't bush out too much and won't need constant pruning as the fence is only six feet high. I've had some success with Helichrysum in the past although it tends to go a bit sad looking in the coldest months and the only other thing I can think of is Euonymus Fortunei which can be trained to grow upwards quite successfully.

Georgie

• Posted: Mon. 23rd March 2009 21:38

Euonymous

Reply from Andrew Tomes

Georgie

The Euonymous that is large enough to grow up a wall is japonicus Ovartus.(spelling may be off). There is E. europeus which is the spindle tree and is a bit poisonous. Evergreen climbers and wall shrubs include: Ceanothus varieties (dentatus is small tight leaf but they are sun plants... Solanum crispum probably prefers sun... An shrub that could be kept close though not its normal habit is Stransvasia pallette and is shade tolerant and very interesting leaf colours. Ofcourse cotoneaster horizontalis berries up nicely. A sun lover but great wall shrub is Fremotodendron californica. Yellow flowers in summer. Waxy dark green field maple shaped leaf. Sorry to go on.
A T.

• Posted: Tue. 24th March 2009 00:43

Stransvasia palette

Reply from Georgie

Hi Andrew

Again, I already have Cotoneaster horizontalis in my sunny border but I'm very interested in the Stransvasia palette you mention. Do you have a link to any details please?

Georgie

• Posted: Tue. 24th March 2009 21:25

Evergreen climber

Reply from Fi

Hi Georgie
I have a trach .... jasminoides (can't remember full name), basically an evergreenjasmine. I have it in the corner at the back of my house, north and west facing, mostly shade except mid summer. It's beautiful, and smells glorious in the summer!
Best, Fx

• Posted: Tue. 24th March 2009 20:07

Trachelospermum jasminoides

Reply from Georgie

Now, that does look promising Fi. Its common name is 'Star Jasmine' - far less of a mouthful. I'll certainly be looking out for it. Many thanks. :D

Georgie

• Posted: Tue. 24th March 2009 21:33