In progress indicator

Hedging.

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Lorna Hazeltine

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have a large grass and border area that runs at the side of my bungalow, this area looks directly on to the road. At the end of the bungalow this area is fenced off from my back garden by a wrought iron fence and arch. I would like to grow some type of hedging along the wrought iron fence to give me some privacy when I am in the back garden area. I do not want conifers. Would like something which would be dense

• Views: 738
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Fri. 13th March 2009 21:34

hedge selection ideas

Reply from Mark Pumphrey

The plant selection of a hedge is often driven by the look and demands you are seeking from the hedge. If you are wishing to create a screen that has a formal look I would suggest beech or hornbeam as deciduous plants suitable for forming a good dense hedge. Also consider yew and Thuya as well (I know you said no conifer but they are very different animals to the leylands) . If you would like another evergreen plant consider Viburnum tinus it will also have scented flowers in Feb as additional interest.

Informal hedges such as Rosa rugosa could be used but they will not be high enough. Depending upon your aspect you may wish to have a mixed hedge using native species such as quickthorn, blackthorn and field maple. This works well if there are similar hedges located nearby.
http://www.broadviewgardendesign.co.uk
http://www.sgd.org.uk

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 12:18

Hedging

Reply from Lorna Hazeltine

Many thanks Mark. (sorry for delay in replying).I now have something to think about. I rather like the idea of Vibumum tinus. Scented flowers would be a bonus. I will look at the suggestions and try and make the right decision,

• Posted: Tue. 24th March 2009 23:07

Helpful?

Reply from Nicola

Hi Lorna,

Thanks for your question for the panel.

I am sure Mark would love some feedback on how useful or otherwise this advice was. Do you have time to drop him a quick reply? Also he may be able to answer any other related questions you may have.

Does the forum format work for you? Could it be structured any better for you? Cheers Nicola

• Posted: Mon. 23rd March 2009 12:40

Nicola

Reply from Lorna Hazeltine

Hi Nicola. Mark's reply to my question was very helpful, I am going through suggestions to decide which would be right for me.
Pleased to see what a great success the forum was. I am still gradually going through all the questions and answers.
Well done.

• Posted: Tue. 24th March 2009 23:12