In progress indicator

pinching out

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from David Selkirk

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of information..

I have recently planted some G3 clematis, all two year old plants, they have took very well and are all producing plenty of new growth, although not expecting much if anything in the way of blooms i was wondering if it would be to my advantage to continue to pinch out new shoots during the growing season to increasing leaves and therefore increase photosynthesis and have a healthier plant and root system for new growth next spring...

Thanks in advance

Davie-S

• Views: 742
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Wed. 6th June 2012 21:33

Re: pinching out

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, David,
Most of the experts agree to stop pinching out by mid-May.
Kathy C

• Posted: Fri. 8th June 2012 21:02

Re: Re: pinching out

Reply from David Selkirk

Thanks Kathy, being a newbie i better do what the experts say.. then again i am a bit of a rebel, i've got three polish spirit i think i'll leave two to get on with it, and keep pinching one out, and see if there's any significant difference next season..

Thanks again..
Davie-S

• Posted: Fri. 8th June 2012 21:18

Re: Re: Re: pinching out

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, David,
Since yours are all group 3 (do I have that right?) then they are the types of clematis that should be cut back low each Feb or March. Since yours are young and newly planted, you can cut them back hard to a strong pair of buds about 30cm above the soil level. Once established, cut back all OLD stems to the lowest pair of healthy buds that are 15-30cm above the soil level. If unpruned, they will get top heavy.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 11th June 2012 20:41

Re: Re: Re: Re: pinching out

Reply from David Selkirk

Thanks Again Kathy

Let me see if i have got this right, i can cut them back just now to about 30cm as they are young and newly planted, then in February/March cut them back to the lowest pair of healthy buds? I'm happy to sacrifice this years blooms for a stronger healthier plant next season... Sounds so simple...

Davie-S

• Posted: Wed. 13th June 2012 21:22

Re: pinching out

Reply from Patricia Jones

This is nothing to do with Clematis but I notice you have listed a Helleborus x nigercors 'Vulcan Beauty',
Please can you tell me where you bought it from? I can't find anyone who seems to stock it in the UK.
Thanks
Patricia

• Posted: Fri. 22nd June 2012 13:47