In progress indicator

Bamboo lokking dry and leaves are brown and dropping

In progress indicator
Full size image

General post from Michael Flynn

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi,
I have a bamboo that looks very dry, the leaves are brown round the edges and dropping. It has been like it pretty much since I planted it and given the amount of rain we are currently having can't be short of water!! The position is quite shadey but I have seen these flourashing on my local golf course in extreme shade and probably without too much care. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

• Views: 662
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 11th June 2012 17:40

Re: Bamboo lokking dry and leaves are brown and dropping

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Michael,
It could be they are getting too much water. Are they firmly in the ground? Were the leaves this way when you planted it or right after? What species/cultivar do you have? Though it may be similar to the shade-tolerant ones you have seen, it might require more sun than those if it is a different species.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 11th June 2012 20:53

Re: Re: Bamboo lokking dry and leaves are brown and dropping

Reply from Michael Flynn

Hi Kathy,
Sorry about all the typo's in my original posting! Thanks for your reply and the species we are talking about is Phyllostachys aurea. The area it is planted is in partial shade and well drained, there is a fir tree nearby so maybe that is soaking all the water away from the bamboo?
Thanks, Michael

• Posted: Sat. 16th June 2012 14:13

Re: Re: Re: Bamboo lokking dry and leaves are brown and dropping

Reply from Harry Hitchcock

Hi Michael,

A few of our bamboo have done this at the nursery as well. We think it's due to the late frost that we had and because we still haven't really had any warm weather!! If I were you I would keep watering (most bamboo like to have a good soak) and wait for a few more weeks for a bit of warmth. Even when it rains keep watering as the leaves will deflect most of it away. The damaged leaves probably won't recover but should be replaced with new growth soon anyway.
Harry

• Posted: Mon. 18th June 2012 12:35