In progress indicator

Tomato Varieties

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Joanne 9919

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I sowed my tomato seed yesterday.

This year I am trying some new varieties as well as some I have grown before.

I am only growing one salad tomato which is Ferline, I haven't grown this before. The rest are all cherry tomatoes as we tend to eat more of these than the salad type. I'm growing Sungold and Gardener's Delight, both of which I have grown before and Sweet Million which I haven't grown before. I'm also growing Micro Tomato which Georgie kindly sent me some seeds to try.

Which tomato varieties are you growing this year?

Jo.

• Views: 827
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Mon. 16th March 2009 07:49

Tomatoes and brassicas

Reply from Fi

Hi Jo
I'm new to this, although I joined some time ago. I'm about to sow some Moneymaker and some cherry tomato varieties. I intend to start them on the kitchen windowsill until its warm enough for a 3 tier greenhouse I have. Should I plant them in the ground after that, or are grow bags better?
I read yesterday that a general fertilizer is good for all veggies, and brassicas at this time. I bought some Growmore granules, easy to throw around and hoe in!
I'm just digging out new veggie beds, and have bought two link a bord raised beds which are really easy and hopefully will protect salads.
Hope to swap notes.
Thanks Fi x

• Posted: Mon. 23rd March 2009 17:13

Tomatoes

Reply from Joanne 9919

Hi Fi,

I grow my tomatoes in the greenhouse, but they can be grown outside too.

I have grown them in a growbag before, but it's quite hard getting water to their roots. I laid the growbag flat, but if I were to grow them in growbags again I would cut the growbag in half and stand each half on it's end. I'm sure the roots would fare better when grown this way.

I haven't grown tomatoes in the ground before, so can't comment about which would be the best method.

I've also been looking at link a bord raised beds as I have just taken on an allotment. I think they look really good, and do seem easy to put together, but I have decided to hold off the raised bed option for now as I would need to buy so many of them to fill the allotment. I'm just going to dig out beds and may go for the raised bed option at a later date.

Jo.

• Posted: Tue. 24th March 2009 16:38

Tomato varieties

Reply from Wendy

Hi Jo

Last year I tried Garden Pearle which is a shrub tomato plant and can be grown in a pot. One plant produces loads of delicious tomatoes almost plum shaped, lasting through to end October early November in the greenhouse. I would definately recommend them especially for growers who don't have a lot of space.
This year I'm growing Gardeners Delight as well.

• Posted: Fri. 3rd April 2009 12:09

Tomato varieties

Reply from Joanne 9919

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll watch out for them.

Jo.

• Posted: Fri. 3rd April 2009 17:45