In progress indicator

New with Little Leo

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Ashley Cartwright

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I am a new gardener (having had potted plants for many years), this being my second year with a small flower garden. This year I took a bit more time to plan what I would put in my garden, and someone told me that Little Leo Leopards Bane was a very easy plant to care for and great for beginners. I planted two small plants in my flower bed and one of them now has holes in almost all of the leaves. I was looking around the plant and on the leaves and stems for what was causing the holes and all I found was one lonely slug... what might be chewing my leaves and what can I do to prevent further damage? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

New with Little Leo (12/06/2012)New with Little Leo (12/06/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 786
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Tue. 12th June 2012 17:44

Re: New with Little Leo

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Ashley,
Welcome to gardening! The slug is the culprit - they are particularly fond of young leaves like those on your plant. Take a look here on Shoot's slug page on what to do to deter/prevent them from further damaging your plants.
All the best,
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 12th June 2012 18:59

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Do you'll get earwigs in England? they do the same type of damage, but without the slime trail. The way to find out is to take a cup, stuff it with tissue paper and leave it in your garden, later check it and if you seen any earwigs you'll know one of the culprits.

• Posted: Tue. 12th June 2012 19:05

Re: Re: New with Little Leo

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, all,
Yes, earwigs are in England but I am leaning toward the slug since one was found nearby and slugs are known to attack young Doronicum leaves. However, making sure as Elaine suggests is always a good idea. If earwigs are found in the trap, there are suggestions on how to combat them here on Shoot as well.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 12th June 2012 19:11

Reply from Ashley Cartwright

Thanks for the help! Both are a possibility (though I am also leaning a little more towards the slug) as earwigs are a very common pest here in Ontario, and we have always had them in our maples.

• Posted: Tue. 12th June 2012 20:06