In progress indicator

my backyard

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from grace mathison

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Help! im wanting to make my back yard look fab! im a single parent with 6 yr old so it needs to be low maintanence, child friendly and credit crunch apparent :) im not afraid of graft and am looking for some ideas of what to with the space using help from friends and reclaimed or cheap materials! thanks in advance xx

my backyard

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1053
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 16th March 2009 10:46

my backyard

Reply from Henryk & Sara Pycz

I'd love to attach more than one view of my garden patio areas which have been constructed almost entirely with skip rescue and builders cast-offs. The atthed photo is of one of my water features where I have rescued a large cold water tank. After sealing all holes I built a frame around it, clad it with decking off-cuts, put in a pump to pump water up a pipe out of a ornate brass snail handle tap (£2 at a jumble sale). The water enter a suspended watering can into a pebble filled pot, drains out of the bottome into a pebble fill 4ft plant tray, runs to the opposite end, drains into another suspended watering can and back into the pond. The tray allows for small water loving plants to grow and the sound of the running water is great. On the opposite wall (in fact on the inside of a large private hedge) is a wall constructed of haning roof tiles with a 'cupboard' built out of a frame of 10"x2" timber fronted by an old wooden window glazed with mirror glass. The mirror glass is slightly tilted in each panel so that different angles of reflections come back at the veiwer. At night when various lamps and candle lights are lit this brings a truly romantic atmosphere to the patio. The floor was concrete but recently I added recycled bricks, blocks and a square of patterned left over victorian floor tiles , the whole edged in gravel and with the fire light to keep warm it is now a great place to have a drink and a chat in the evenings.

my backyard

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Wed. 18th March 2009 12:06

Help is at hand

Reply from Andrew Tomes

1) Scrap, wash and brush the walls. New paint.
2) Make a few trellises out of tile batten. 25p per metre or have a word with a roofer. My Photo shows whats possible.
2b) Plant with sweetpea or bright coloured ivy for shade.
3) Take up an small area of the paving and spread decorative shingle.
4) Seek out some bamboo. Many gardeners have to clear the suckers from recently planted areas as they are so invasive. Phone a couple to see if they are throwing some away. Plant in some large tubs/pots strategically placed.
5) Sand pit
Transformed.......

Andrew Tomes

Bell Gardens Ltd Garden Design and Construction
www.bellgardensltd.co.uk
161 Heene Road Worthing West Sussex
BN11 4NY
01903 241687

Help is at hand

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 12:02

Helpful?

Reply from Nicola

Hi Grace,

Thanks for your question for the panel. How useful or otherwise this advice was you rec'd.

Do you have time to drop a quick reply? Also the panel may be able to answer any other related questions you may have.

I am also wondering - Does the forum format work for you? Could it be structured any better for you? Cheers Nicola

• Posted: Mon. 23rd March 2009 12:32