In progress indicator

Slugs and snails

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Sue West

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Despite the wet weather we have had lately, or because of, my Petunia in tubs have been chewed to sticks. I like to remove the snails as I see them, usually in the evening. Today I found what can only be referred to as a snail campsight on the underside of the tub, with about 30 mobile homes on one tub! Can anyone advise me of a way of keeping them out of the planter itself? The tubs in question have feet, are plastic and sit on a bed of stones, and we did not have this problem last year.

• Views: 946
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Sat. 16th June 2012 23:36

Re: Slugs and snails

Reply from Frank van den Bos

Sue,

I have put a small fence of double layered chicken wire around my Hosta and it helped.

Frank

• Posted: Sun. 17th June 2012 09:07

Re: Re: Slugs and snails

Reply from Sue West

Thanks Frank, will try this in the back garden with the tubs.

• Posted: Sun. 17th June 2012 21:23

Reply from david Blake

I saw this on Twitter - here's a more detailed response. The recent wet cold weather will have done wonders for mollusc populations - slugs and snails that is. They will while away the day and any dry weather in a humid place and underneath your well watered tubs and planters is perfect.Regularly move the tubs, if they are big and heavy, use a lever of some kind to ease them up and then wedge a brick under them before scooping out the snails and slugs. Pop them in a bucket and take them well away from your garden - at least 100 metres away. this just has to be a regular job like weeding. There are chemical alternatives of course, pet-friendly slug pellets can be put under the tubs and planters. In the wider garden, in your borders and the veg patch, use nematodes as a biological control. Go to the Nemasys or Nemaslug web sites for purchase informatiion and instructions.

• Posted: Sun. 17th June 2012 13:58

Reply from Sue West

Thanks David. I have checked inder the tubs again today and there were a few, which I have removed...........again. I am unsure about using slug pellets as I heard they can posion hedgehogs. I have used a liquid slug control, but it does not seem to be doing much as you have to use it when you know the next day will be sunny????? So it seems that removal is the only way, time consuming, but if it works then so be it.

• Posted: Sun. 17th June 2012 21:29

Reply from Liz Macaulay

Try copper adhesive tape round the sides of your pots. I have done this with my tubs of hostas and as long as there are no 'bridges' from nearby plants it works very well, and lasts a long time, so is cheaper than nematodes.
Round susceptible plants in the ground I use ferric or aluminium phosphate pellets which are not poisonous to other creatures and break down in the soil . harmlessly. They are approved for organic use. I don't know where the dead slugs and snails go but they disappear unlike the revolting fizzy corpses left by pellets containing metaldehyde.

• Posted: Mon. 18th June 2012 09:42

Reply from Sue West

Thanks Liz, I will definately give this a go. I have hear of slugs and sanils not liking copper as it gives them a mild electric shock. The pellets sound like my most likely solution, used along with the removal of them. Fingers crossed!

• Posted: Mon. 18th June 2012 20:58

Reply from Lajos

try spraying your plants with a home made garlic spray, works wonders and repels aphids and slugs too, have to reapply in rainy weather though

• Posted: Thu. 21st June 2012 09:50

Reply from Diana Grant

I have not been successful with copper - I put it round my hosta tub, and the hostas were still decimated. Slug pellets, especially metaldehyde-based ones, do work, but are expensive, and I do worry about pets and wildlife. I believe that hedgehogs eat slugs, and I think birds do, so encouraging a bit of wildlife would help. But I don't get any hedgehogs, and few birds, as I try to discourage them because everyone in our neighbourhood has a cat.
I have found slug pots fairly successful, if you put beer in them - they are attracted by the smell and then climb in and die blissfully. Again this is not particularly cheap.
This leaves my tried and tested method - collecting them with a trowel at dawn or dusk, especially when it has been raining, putting them in a plastic container containing a little water, and sprinkling them with salt. It's rather disgusting, but it certainly works. On a bad day I have collected as many as 100 at a time early this year. My aim is always to clear the garden before they have a chance to multiply, and that seems to have worked.
I have even written a webpage: http://www.squidoo.com/war-on-slugs, and another called http://www.squidoo.com/gardening-disasters

Re: Slugs and snails (03/11/2012)Re: Slugs and snails (03/11/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sat. 3rd November 2012 20:28