OK
In progress indicator

My Vitis Crimson seedless is in it's 3rd year but still no fruit, am I doing something wrong?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Tessa Bishopp

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

It is in a very sheltered spot on the south side of the garden and looks very healthy each year.

• Views: 745
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Thu. 21st June 2012 12:05

Re: My Vitis Crimson seedless is in it's 3rd year but still no fruit, am I doing something wrong?

Reply from Patricia Jones

Does it produce the flowers that will turn into fruit?
What temperature is the plant at when it produces flowers, too hot and the flowers dry out and die off,
If insects can't get to it to pollinate it because it is in a closed greenhouse?
Pruned at the wrong time taking off the fruiting buds.
Growing in to harsh an environment.
Perhaps you might like to give some more information as to where the Vine is growing .
If you put the plant on the " Plants I have" list you will get full information to help you get the best from it.

• Posted: Fri. 22nd June 2012 10:18

Re: My Vitis Crimson seedless is in it's 3rd year but still no fruit, am I doing something wrong?

Reply from Tessa Bishopp

Hi again. No I have never seen any flowers on it, and as for it's position, my mistake it is close to the corner of the North East Wall as it is the sunniest in the afternoon and it is completely sheltered there. My garden is a long east-facing garden and the soil is a good crumbly texture, has slight acidity and is clay.

I wasn't sure if it just needed another vine nearby to coax it a tad.
Thanks, Tessa

• Posted: Fri. 22nd June 2012 17:36

Re: Re: My Vitis Crimson seedless is in it's 3rd year but still no fruit, am I doing something wrong?

I don't think it needs another vine. What I suggest is getting in touch with the nursery you bought it from and ask them if it is usual for the vine not to have flowered and fruited yet.It may be that it needs a year or two to put its roots down.
Mine is in a greenhouse that is growing on its own and I think it started flowering and fruiting in the second year.
I'm not too sure how far North in the UK grapes grow outside and fruit. Most of the English Vineyards are in the southern part of the UK

• Posted: Fri. 22nd June 2012 20:16

Reply from Tessa Bishopp

Thanks Patricia.

I'm based in Enfield (SE England) and my neighbour to one side used to have very successful grapes growing on the same side of the fence, so the area isn't the issue. Your suggestion re the nursery is a good one. Now to remember which one it was . . .

Re: My Vitis Crimson seedless is in it's 3rd year but still no fruit, am I doing something wrong? (23/06/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sat. 23rd June 2012 14:21

Re: Re: My Vitis Crimson seedless is in it's 3rd year but still no fruit, am I doing something wrong?

Maybe a pruning issue then. They do need to be pruned at the correct time, too late in the spring and you can cut off the very insignificant flowers, not at all and it goes to leaf.
If you add the plant to the " Plants I Have" list it will give you a bit more info than I can here. Hope this helps.

• Posted: Sat. 23rd June 2012 19:57