In progress indicator

Help Identifying poisonous plant please

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from gayle springett

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi. I have this plant in my garden. Well there are actually quite a few of them. When we first moved into our house my partner tried to remove them and ended up with badly marked skin as he got the sap on his hands and then itched his back. I have recently had a nasty patch of blisters on my arm and think this is where the plant brushed my skin. I want to get rid of these plants as we have children and i cannot risk them being around them. But would first like to establish exactly what they are. Thank you

• Views: 658
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Sun. 1st July 2012 16:15

Re: Help Identifying poisonous plant please

Reply from Nicola

Hi - can you add an image for us? Please reply to yourself or to me and add up to 3 images. Sounds awful! I hope your arms are now ok! Nicola

• Posted: Sun. 1st July 2012 16:52

Reply from gayle springett

Hi hopefully photos work this time. The first one is the leaves that have caused the phototoxicity and allergys the second is a flowering thing which I think is part of the same plant but not sure as have never had one of those grow with it before. I don't think it is hogweed or burdock. Thank you.

Re: Help Identifying poisonous plant please (01/07/2012)Re: Help Identifying poisonous plant please (01/07/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Sun. 1st July 2012 17:38

Re: Re: Help Identifying poisonous plant please

Reply from Carol

The name 'mollis' suggested something very safe to me, so I googled it and the leaves can be used as a medicinal paste to treat burns! Obviously not for you and your family, though. Are you sure it wasn't something else that set off the bad reactions?

• Posted: Sun. 1st July 2012 18:59

Reply from Lynne Robinson

Acanthus mollis

• Posted: Sun. 1st July 2012 18:33

Re: Re: Help Identifying poisonous plant please

Reply from Nicola

Thanks! Here is Acanthus mollis in Shoot. Hope that helps:)

• Posted: Sun. 1st July 2012 18:36

Re: Re: Re: Help Identifying poisonous plant please

Reply from gayle springett

Nicola and Lynne

Thank you very much for your help! Nice to know what it is. Although now I've looked it up sounds like its a nightmare to get rid of!

Gayle

• Posted: Sun. 1st July 2012 19:09

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help Identifying poisonous plant please

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Gayle,
The flowers are verrrry spiny which may be what caused the reaction.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 3rd July 2012 20:33