In progress indicator

I need help identifying this plant

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Jeff Brown

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I think it is a orange glory butterfly plant. It has not flowered. Or is it just a really big weed. This spring it was just a stick and now it has grown. There was another one that I took out in spring, because I thought it was dead. I bought three of them last year, but I did not think they survived. I was hoping somebody could recognize the leaves.

I need help identifying this plant  (11/07/2012)I need help identifying this plant  (11/07/2012)I need help identifying this plant  (11/07/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 758
  • Replies: 13
  • Posted: Wed. 11th July 2012 22:34

Re: I need help identifying this plant

Reply from Carol

It looks like some kind of euphorbia (spurge) to me.

• Posted: Wed. 11th July 2012 22:48

Re: Re: I need help identifying this plant

Reply from Jeff Brown

Carol, thank you I can see that after looking it up. It would make it easier if it was to follower. Another name Asclepias tuberosa - butterfly weed.

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 04:26

Re: Re: Re: I need help identifying this plant

Reply from Nicola

Hi Jeff & welcome to Shoot. How useful do you find the site given you are US based? At the moment all our care advice is timed for a UK climate. I am just curious what you see the benefits are to you. Kind regards Nicola (founder & owner)

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 08:17

Re: Re: Re: Re: I need help identifying this plant

Reply from Jeff Brown

Hi Nicola, I find the sight very useful. Where I life at in the US is very similar weather wise for most European countries. There is not a website like this in the US that I have been able to find. I like the monthly calender. As far what benefits go it helps me organize my plants in one place so that I can keep track of them. It does seem to be a distance between us, but the website you developed helps make sense of how plants grow, develop, were to place them. Before I had to do a lot of research online to find those answers. With your site I have everything in one location. The one downside is that there are plants that are native to my area that I cannot find on your site. Other than that I have not seen much of a difference between the UK and US in were I life. I live in Oregon in the valley. We have a lot of similar weather. We get a lot of rain, fog, wind. I can see were your sight could help me even though we are miles apart. It would be nice if someone did develop a site like this in the US, but for now I enjoy using this site. I find a lot of benefits using this site.
Thank you,
Jeff

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 16:39

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I need help identifying this plant

Reply from Nicola

Hi Jeff, Thanks so much for the really great feedback! We want to ensure we have it working well here in the UK before we think of other countries. So glad you can make use of it already and also good to know it is close enough to your climate. Maybe we launch in Oregon first if we think of US version. Thanks again Nicola p.s. do you mind if I quote your kind words in our testimonials?

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 17:21

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I need help identifying this plant

Reply from Jeff Brown

Yes you can post it in the testimonials.

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 17:32

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I need help identifying this plant

Reply from Nicola

Thanks Jeff. Here is your testimonial Kind regards Nicola

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 17:58

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I need help identifying this plant

Reply from Nicola

p.s. I know you live on the other side of the world but how come all your photos are sideways:))

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 17:38

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

It looks to be too woody to be asclepias tuberosa, they come up very late, because they like it really hot. Do you have a lot of rain in your area, do you have cottonwoods? looks like it, but I could be wrong.

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 13:02

Reply from Jeff Brown

Hi Elaine, yes it does rain a lot here. We do have cottonwoods. What I will do is let grow this year to see if it flowers or is if it is something I want to keep. If not I might be able to find a home for it with someone else. Thank you for your suggestion. I don't like cottonwood trees they make a mess and they trigger my allergies.

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 16:43

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Nice to meet a fellow Oregonian. I am familiar with cottonwood trees and if you have one then compare the leaves. I know for sure it is a woody.

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 17:27

Reply from Jeff Brown

I don't have one near my yard. I know where some are at. Are you from Oregon or do you know people that live here

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 17:35

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

I am in Corbett, Or. at the gateway to the Gorge. The cottony stuff comes on the wind, so it could very well be, but I have not paid too close attention to their leaves,I thought they resembled the poplars to which they are related.

• Posted: Thu. 12th July 2012 20:21