In progress indicator

Hoping to find help here

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Jenny Sagi

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have just treated myself to a small greenhouse 6' x6' with no previous experience, is there anyone out there who could give me advice as to best way to start? Judging from other forum contributors there are more questions than answers!

Hoping to find help here (01/08/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1033
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Wed. 1st August 2012 08:31

Re: Hoping to find help here

Reply from Jim Brown

Hi Jenny
Thats a nice greenhouse you have there. After a year you will probably want something bigger as the growing bug bites. I'm no expert and I wont recomend particular plants to start off with. However I subscribe to one of the gardening publications Garden News and the advice they give along with the free seeds and how to grow them is invaluable. You may or may not want to heat your greenhouse and I think at your size it would be relatively inexpensive and give you a lot of scope in terms of what to grow. Another way of gaining advice/confidence is by going along to your local garden centre and ask the plant people whats good and whats not at this time of year.
I hope you enjoy your hobby and look for ward to seeing some lovely plants.

Jim

• Posted: Wed. 1st August 2012 10:17

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Depends on how you are treating the green house, whether it is conservatory or starting things from seeds. If you want to start plants you will need heat, bottom heat works too. A conservatory takes you right into some tropical's that are frost sensitive. I grow bird of paradise, oleander, datura, bougainvillea and citrus here without any heat, the key is to keep the green house on the dry side in winter, as the plants are dormant and don't need the water. I fertilize them end of Feb.the bougainvillea dropped its leaves, but put a fine show of flowers right into March, it has now gotten a fine crop of leaves.

• Posted: Wed. 1st August 2012 17:27

Re: Re: Hoping to find help here

Reply from Jenny Sagi

Thank you, that was really helpful. would I be able to try a few tropicals soon and over winter and then begin some salad seeds or something similar in the spring?

• Posted: Thu. 2nd August 2012 09:54

Reply from David M Harvey

I am a beginner and bought a new greenhouse, 6x4. I started with Dahlia cuttings and Tubers 16 in all, I broused on line to find the best ways of cultivating them, all I might add grew very well and gave me some very good blookms. I also started from seed Lettuce, Tomatoes and Spring Onions and as they grew on put them in another small "Multi-Level 'Patiogro' Patio Growing System", again grew well and I ate well. All from my small greenhouse.

• Posted: Mon. 1st October 2012 12:29

Reply from Jenny Sagi

Now I have begun using the greenhouse, I have lettuces and other salad greens coming on nicely. A few indoor flowering plants, some lemon pips sown by my grandaughter, and some cat grass and mint for the cat. Can anyone please advise me about insulating the space for winter? I've been told bubble wrap but am not sure how to attach it?

• Posted: Tue. 2nd October 2012 08:28

Reply from David M Harvey

Hi Jenni
I have just purchased a small parrafin heater on reccommendation from another gardener, you only need it on for frosts of say over -3. I have many cuttings and one of my best Fuchsias in for overwintering. Other than that I would suggest a fleece which you can get from any garden centres, fasten at the top and let it drape down, making sure it falls down the back of your staging. Hope this helps.

• Posted: Tue. 2nd October 2012 10:35