In progress indicator

Lifting a "injured" dahlia

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Suzy Ellis

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi all! I bought a beautiful yellow Gallery Cezanne Dahlia about a month ago and unfortunately slugs have eaten all of it. I was wondering if I lift what's left and plant in a pot will the dahlia come back? Should I cut some of the steams? I attach a photo of what it looks now. Many thanks!

Lifting a

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 597
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Wed. 8th August 2012 07:07

Re: Lifting a "injured" dahlia

Reply from Peter Nyssen Ltd

If your careful you should be able to lift the Dahlia, make sure you don't cause too much root disturbance, when you replant in the pot include well rotted manure and give it a good water, feed every couple of weeks with tomato fertiliser, hopefully this will work, there is still enough heat and sun it should recover, pinch out the shoots to make a bushy plant. Good luck

• Posted: Wed. 8th August 2012 14:26

Re: Re: Lifting a "injured" dahlia

Reply from Suzy Ellis

Thank you so much! I'm crossing fingers it will work, it's such a gorgeous flower. Should I replant as it is or should I cut right down to the base? I see no existing growth or new shoots in the eaten steams.

• Posted: Sun. 12th August 2012 13:08

Re: Lifting a "injured" dahlia

Reply from Peter Nyssen Ltd

I think at this stage it is better to leave whatever growth is still there and transplant, hopefully it will throw some new shoots; if not bring it into a greenhouse or conservatory to give it extra warmth and if the shoots establish put it back outside.

You may have lost this years flowers but as long as the tubers stay healthy it will recover for next year. Good luck.

• Posted: Mon. 13th August 2012 15:22