In progress indicator

Acidic tomatoes

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Glensgirl

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

hello everyone, can any of you advise as to what might be making my toms taste a bit acidic rather sweet? I have two types, both cherries - one free with Gardener's World and one from seeds from a beautifully sweet Tesco tomato - so I know they are both from decent stock. Is it lack of sun or lack of food?? Thanks! PS, all growing well, to expected size and ripening well - just not particularly sweet.

• Views: 732
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 12th August 2012 19:20

Re: Acidic tomatoes

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Lindsay,
It could be a number of things effecting flavour. Toms need 6-8 hours of sun a day. They also need a deep, thorough watering once a week, more frequently if it is hot & dry and/or they are grown in containers. They should be fed every 2 weeks. More water/rain will weaken flavour. Finally, allow them to fully ripen on the vine as this will increase sugar content.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 13th August 2012 22:13

Reply from Glensgirl

Hi Kathy
They're in the ground in a very sunny spot (south east facing) but they've dried a couple of times so I think I'm guilty there..! I've fed them and they've recovered so hopefully the rest of the developing fruit will forgive me! I've grown tomatoes successfully in the past - but this year has been a bit 'hit or miss' with watering in the garden in between torrential rain and hosepipe bans!! Thanks for taking the time to respond, Lindsay

• Posted: Wed. 15th August 2012 13:42

Reply from Carol

Anything grown from seeds collected from a tomato is likely to come up a bit different, unfortunately. The joys of plants making seed!

• Posted: Tue. 21st August 2012 13:43