In progress indicator

Plants toxic to dogs

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Katrine

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi there
I'm just about to get a rescue greyhound {very excited:)) and I've heard that lillies are very toxic to cats. Does anyone know if that applies to dogs too?
Also are there any other plants I should be avoiding or removing?
Many thanks
Katrine

• Views: 839
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 5th September 2012 11:29

Re: Plants toxic to dogs

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Katrine,
There are any number of plants that can be potentially to dogs, but the worst offenders are:
Autumn crocus, azaleas, kalanchoe, cyclamen, lilies, oleander, lily of the valley, sago palm, tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, apple trees, cherry trees, asparagus fern, privet, red maple trees, hosta, castor bean, yew, ivy, and dieffenbachia (an indoor plant)
Kathy C

• Posted: Thu. 6th September 2012 17:28

Re: Re: Plants toxic to dogs

Reply from Katrine

Hi Kathy
Many thanks for your reply. Seems I've several plants I'll have to remove from my garden. Do you know if the plants are toxic if the dogs just sniffs of touches them, or do the problems arise only if digested?
Also, would you mind if I share your reply with the Greyhound Sanctuary? Greyhounds are very fragile in dealing with toxins and even medications - I'm sure many other owners would greatly appreciate your knowledge.
Many thanks
Katrine

• Posted: Thu. 6th September 2012 19:34

Reply from Angie Robertson

Katrine
I am a dog and cat owner. Kathy is right there are many plants which are potentially harmful to pets and humans for that matter.
I have 13 of the plants Kathy has listed in my garden. All my pets have free run in the garden and I have never had an occassion where either has eaten something that is harmful to them. It is an natural instinct for them not to eat what is harmful.
It's my personal opinion that puppies and kittens would be more at risk as being inquisitive at a young age they would tend to explore more in the garden.
Like children in the garden - dogs can be 'educated'. Rather than have to remove your plants - you could consider discouraging your new dog from certain areas in the garden until you know that he/she is not going to 'chew' everything in site.
Good luck with your dog and I admire that you are taking on a rescue dog.
Cheers
Angie

• Posted: Thu. 13th September 2012 14:22

Reply from Katrine

Hi Angie
Thanks for your reply.
It's a big list isn;t in. Most of the plants I have that are on the list are in containers, and I;ve moved them to a safe place. Hoping for a chance to discuss the full list with a vet soon. But, I think you made a really good point - hopefully our pets will be savvy enough not to eat anything that would prove harmful to them.
Thanks again, Katrine

• Posted: Thu. 13th September 2012 19:01