In progress indicator

Diseased garrya elliptica

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from CAROLINE BROOME

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My garrya elliptica is approx 3m tall and 4m wide, and has been healthly and produced beautiful tassles for several years now. During August this year 2012 entire branches have sytarted dying back, while others are healthy and producing next spring's tassles. Die back is spreading repidly through to main trunk, also resulting in extrensive leaf fall. Any advice?

• Views: 2289
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Wed. 5th September 2012 21:26

Re: Diseased garrya elliptica

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Caroline,
I'm sorry you're having trouble with your Garrya. Garry needs very well-drained soil. If not, it will suffer dieback. Are you in an area that has had more rain than usual (hard to escape it in the UK this year!). Also, is it planted in clay soil? That could very well be causing the dieback. Only other thought is some sort of internal fungus/disease. Have you checked the cut end of affected branches to see if there are any dark or black rings in the wood? If so, it may have a disease (though I am really not convinced on this because they aren't usually plagued with diseased like that). Any chance you could post a photo of the shrub and the damage?
Kathy C

• Posted: Thu. 6th September 2012 17:22

Re: Re: Diseased garrya elliptica

Reply from CAROLINE BROOME

Hello Kathy

Please see attached photos. Right on both counts, clay soil snad excessive rain. I attach (quite blurred) photo of cut stem as requested, and various shots showing the extent of die back. Thanks fpor your help.Regards, Caroline

Re: Re: Diseased garrya elliptica (13/09/2012)Re: Re: Diseased garrya elliptica (13/09/2012)Re: Re: Diseased garrya elliptica (13/09/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Thu. 13th September 2012 21:10

Re: Diseased garrya elliptica

Reply from CAROLINE BROOME

Thanks for this Cathy. We are on London clay and have experienced heavt rain ( who hasn't?) I'll cut oinot a branch and send on some photos in the next few days. Regards, Caroline

• Posted: Thu. 6th September 2012 21:09