In progress indicator

optimal growth

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from ssb

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I bought my Acer Palmatum "osakazuki" from a garden market stall, and was wondering what's the best way to grow it to speed up the process (I understand it is a slow growing plant), as in its current status it looks very thin and spindly, and doesn't appear to be growing correctly, see attached image. The darker image is the place I normally keep the plant under a pergola with protection from most winds. The sunny picture is for clarity.

optimal growth (19/09/2012)optimal growth (19/09/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1021
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 19th September 2012 11:15

Re: optimal growth

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, again!
Not really much to do to speed up the process. It is just genetically predisposed to grow slowly. Feeding it isn't an option either since Acers don't like a lot of feed. First suggestion is to repot in a larger container - the one it is in is quite small for the size of the tree. Second, even though you want more growth, it might do to give the top a light prune to bush out the crown - the trunk is quite long and slender and the crown looks top heavy. Don't prune too much and only prune in late autumn to midwinter since Acers tend to bleed sap freely in warmer weather. Finally, once firmly repotted in a larger container, get rid of the stake. Trees should only staked for a year tops. Removing the stake allows the tree to move in the wind which works to strengthen the trunk.
All the best,
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 24th September 2012 21:20

Re: Re: optimal growth

Reply from ssb

Many thanks Kathy for your excellent expert advice. The plant was bought a month ago, I'm not sure of its age, but the market stall holder had it in an even smaller pot, and it was staked. So I wonder whether the initial smaller pot stunted its growth while the market stall holder cared for it, as he does have loads of plants on his store, so maybe they didn't get the care and attention needed. I did put a few fertiliser granules in the compost when I repotted it in a bigger pot when I bought it last month, and also fed it with water mixed with a little miracle gro. I will follow your instructions, and hope for the best.

• Posted: Tue. 25th September 2012 07:55