In progress indicator

Acer die back

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Del Jenkins

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I've got an acer palmatum osakazuki that I transplanted to its current site last April. It is in full sun on a well drained slope, needless to say has had plenty of water all summer, and has thrived for the first few months. Unfortunately, it has now started to die back on one side (see photos), and I am wondering (a) why it might be happening, and (b) what to do about it. Should I prune away all the dead wood and all the wood that has lost its leaves (now half the tree), or just hope that it recovers next spring. The remaining leaves look really healthy. Alternatively, if I give up and replace it next spring, can I put the same variety in the same place, or is this the wrong situation entirely. (I've got an acer sango kaku in a slightly more shaded site nearby that is doing really well.) I live at the edge of the North York Moors in a challenging climate. Thanks for your help.

Acer die back (11/10/2012)Acer die back (11/10/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 2598
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Thu. 11th October 2012 06:20

Re: Acer die back

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

You can prune the limbs that have died off and feed it in spring and watch the plant for further die back. Caution about sterilizing your tools with rubbing alcohol or a weak solution of bleach, this is in case the plant has anthracanose, a disease that affects maples. Do not put another maple in its place till you get a diagnose of what killed it.

• Posted: Thu. 11th October 2012 13:30

Reply from Del Jenkins

Hi Elaine
Thanks very much for your advice. I've now pruned the acer and will keep my fingers crossed that is hasn't got anthracnose - it sounds nasty.
Dela

• Posted: Fri. 12th October 2012 17:50

Reply from Richard Gibbard

I have a similar issue with the same plant. However mine is grown in a container, potted almost exclusively with a regular multi-purpose compost. It was bought as a 1 metre tree in spring, before coming into leaf.

It's in a fairly sheltered location although it does get some direct sun, especially at this time of year and is in the wind. In recent weeks certain stems/branches have been dying back, starting with the leaves prematurely turning red and then shrivelling up. Initially this was only affecting a few lower branches but recently appears to be more widespread (pictures below). I thought it may have been down to wind or sun damage but the affected parts of the tree don't seem to be the ones with the worst exposure. Am hoping it's not more serious - eg. verticulum wilt. I don't think it is, but it's hard to diagnose from the few pruning cuts I have made to remove the dead wood.

Some of the branches do appear to have a form of powdery white mildew on them, which I have sprayed with a regular fungus treatment for ornamentals but to no apparent effect.

I live in South West London. Grateful for any ideas, thanks

Re: Acer die back (09/07/2013)Re: Acer die back (09/07/2013)Re: Acer die back (09/07/2013)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 9th July 2013 11:48