In progress indicator

'Brown' spots on leaves

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Catherine Milbourn

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi, My Red Robin hedge 3 years old and is generally growing well but last year it developed brown spots on the leaves. What is this and how should I treat it?

• Views: 2006
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Mon. 18th February 2013 15:46

Re: 'Brown' spots on leaves

Reply from Nicola

Hi Catherine, can you add some photos? Reply to me or yourself to add up to 3 and they will stay with this forum thread. Thanks Nicola

• Posted: Mon. 18th February 2013 15:53

Re: Re: 'Brown' spots on leaves

Reply from Catherine Milbourn

Photo's attached

Re: Re: 'Brown' spots on leaves (18/02/2013)Re: Re: 'Brown' spots on leaves (18/02/2013)Re: Re: 'Brown' spots on leaves (18/02/2013)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Mon. 18th February 2013 16:24

Re: 'Brown' spots on leaves

Reply from Judi Samuels Garden Design

Hi Catherine, Great insights here.. http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/blog/photinia-leaf-spo/ Best wishes.. Judi .. :-)

• Posted: Mon. 18th February 2013 17:58

Re: Re: 'Brown' spots on leaves

Reply from Nicola

Hi Catherine, please see our article too for Leaf spot

If you add this plant to your list you will get pest & disease care advice added to your calendar and reminder prompts.

Thanks Nicola

• Posted: Tue. 19th February 2013 08:23

Re: Re: Re: 'Brown' spots on leaves

Hi, On one of the links you suggested it states to remove the infected leaves - If I do this will new leaves grow in their place or will the hedge just look bare and sparse? I was recommended to have Red Robin rather than Laurel and I am starting to regret it already! Any advise you can offer would be very welcome.

• Posted: Tue. 19th February 2013 09:50

Re: Re: Re: Re: 'Brown' spots on leaves

Reply from Judi Samuels Garden Design

Hi Catherine, that's a shame you feel that. Photinia does best in a sunny sight.. it's been so wet that your plants may be struggling to the conditions of relentless wet and cold. If your plants are still generally in good form, you will see new leaf buds and they will form new leaves.. If you see no signs of new growth, then I fear the plants may be on the way out. Can you confirm their planting aspect in your garden? As I say, they may be planted in too shady and cold a spot to flourish.. Have they done this in each year? Or is this a new development? Could be the dampness.. Perhaps another photo of the base and shape of the plants would be useful.. Best wishes, Judi.. :-)

• Posted: Tue. 19th February 2013 10:22

: 'Brown' spots on leaves

Hi Judi, The hedges are at the front of the house, very open. They are in full sun during the summer months (weather permitting). During the winter when the sun is low in the sky they only get direct sun from around midday. Perhaps they have, as you say, fallen victim of the poor weather we experienced last year. I'll take a couple more pictures and add a little later. In the meantime, should I be spraying them with any kind of systemic fungicide etc?

• Posted: Tue. 19th February 2013 11:17

Re: : 'Brown' spots on leaves

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Catherine,
You're not the only one dealing with leaf spot on Photinia. Click here for an earlier forum question about Photinia leaf spot.

Spring, at the time of bud swell/break, is the best time to start spraying with fungicide, making about 3-4 applications over the coming spring months.
All the best,
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 19th February 2013 18:52