In progress indicator

Scottish Spring

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from David Selkirk

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi peeps,
Winter has been mild for central Scotland, and with that mildness has come confusion for me and my plants, my group three clematis are in bud and sprouting, the problem is the nursery from whom i bought them recommends i cut them back in April because of my climate, but by then they should have plenty of new growth, if i cut them back just now the frosts will curtail the new growth, i supose i cun cut them back just now and protect them with fleece, any help and advice would be graetfully appreciated..

Davie-S

• Views: 927
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Thu. 28th February 2013 21:06

Re: Scottish Spring

Reply from Maz

Hi, The time to prune Clematis group 3 is February or March, cut back all the old stems to the lowest pair of healthy buds leaving around 15-30cm of stem above soil level. If left unpruned, over time group 3 will become top heavy and only produce flowers at eye level and none lower down. This group makes new growth from the base each year so need to be pruned regular to avoid a tangled mess and so enable the plant to perform well. Hope this helps :)

• Posted: Sat. 2nd March 2013 09:35

Re: Re: Scottish Spring

Reply from David Selkirk

Cheers Maz,
Yes that helps, it's just my climate is colder than most of the uk, so the advice was prune later ie April, but i'll keep my eye's open for new shoots then i'll prune them back, probs late March, the main worry is late frosts.
thanks again for the advice..
Davie-S

• Posted: Sat. 2nd March 2013 16:17

Re: Scottish Spring

Reply from Maz

I think you would be spot on to do them late March just to be on the safe side. I think the main point is to be consistant with your pruning every year. Pruning a little later will just mean it will bloom later but its always good to have late colour :)

• Posted: Sat. 2nd March 2013 17:39