In progress indicator

Pot-grown tree

In progress indicator
Full size image

General post from Suzie Warren

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I need to source a tree (small growing) for a windy/east-facing site. Any ideas most welcome.

• Views: 715
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Fri. 8th March 2013 21:53

Re: Pot-grown tree

Reply from Suzie Warren

Very disappointed to see so many reads but no replies :(

• Posted: Sat. 9th March 2013 22:40

Re: Re: Pot-grown tree

Reply from Valerie Munro

I would be happy to help you with some suggestions, but the most important piece of information is where your garden is? If it's in the UK, then there is a great deal of difference between what will work in the North of Scotland compared with the warmer climes of London and the SE.

East facing is a difficult too - do you live anywhere the sea which can present another element of 'hostility'. As a first stab, I would recommend any one of the Sorbus genus - where you will get a double season of interest - flowers in the spring, and coloured foliage and berries in the autumn.

There is quite a range of sizes on offer, but working from the smallest upwards I would favour S. huphehensis with its amazing dark pink berries! Will grow (slowly) to 8m.

I hope that this helps.

Good luck!

• Posted: Sun. 10th March 2013 12:04

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

You do not mention what size tree, do you want a deciduous, or conifer? It always helps to know your coldest temperatures, for us who live in the US, it would be nice to get it in Farenheit.

• Posted: Sun. 10th March 2013 00:59

Reply from Suzie Warren

I've rediscovered my account here, apologies for how I handled my query.

I bought a cotoneaster tree, darned if I can remember which variety, but it is really lovely, much underrated. The blossom was beautifully scented, it is now full of berries which I hope to see turn deep red in the Autumn.

I shall post pictures of its start and present state and then the berries - well, just as soon as I've finished my pot of coffee and shifted out of bed :)

• Posted: Wed. 21st August 2013 06:12