In progress indicator

Schefflera Cuttings

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Karen

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have a very tall Schefflera (I think) in my office and I'm wondering if I can take cuttings from it. It is just one tall stem and is just about touching the ceiling. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to take cuttings from it and how I'd do it?

Thanks
Karen

Schefflera Cuttings (21/03/2013)Schefflera Cuttings (21/03/2013)Schefflera Cuttings (21/03/2013)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 875
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 21st March 2013 15:42

Re: Schefflera Cuttings

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Karen,
You can take a cutting but given the way this Schefflera is growing, there isn't much suitable material for cuttings - probably just one cutting from the growing tip of the plant. The best way to propagate Schefflera is with semi-hardwood cuttings or softwood cuttings in midsummer. This is done by cutting a stem just below the leaf, leaving about 5cm or so of stem. Schefflera typically needs bottom heat and rooting hormone for reliable root initiation.
Another thing you can do is try to rejuvenate this plant. Schefflera tends to shoot from nodes if cut back so you can try cutting it back low to the base, just before a growth node. Move it to a place where it will get more light and make sure it is fed on a regular basis. The pot is it currently in is too small - aim for a larger pot if possible and then give it a root prune every 3-4 years.
All the best,
Kathy C

• Posted: Thu. 28th March 2013 18:19

Re: Re: Schefflera Cuttings

Reply from Karen

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for your really helpful reply. The reason it's a bit wonky at the top is I did cut the tip to try to stop it growing any taller but it then sprouted from the side. I'll take your advice and cut it back and will try to use the tip as a cutting.
Thanks
Karen

• Posted: Thu. 28th March 2013 19:49