In progress indicator

is my garrya dead?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Katherine Simmonds

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My garrya has always been healthy but leaves have turned brown. The branches have turned a mossy green -is it re-coverable?

• Views: 721
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Sat. 13th April 2013 15:57

Re: is my garrya dead?

Reply from Nicola

Hi Katherine, can you add some photos? If you reply to me or yourself you can add up to 3. Cheers Nicola

• Posted: Sat. 13th April 2013 16:11

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Try doing the nail test, where you scratch the bark, if it is green, you know it is alive, do it all along the stems or trunk, till you come to greenwood, if you don't run into any greenwood, cut it down , feed and see if it sprouts from the root. sometimes we are too quick to declare a plant dead.

• Posted: Sat. 13th April 2013 16:39

Reply from Katherine Simmonds

I have done the nail test and the shrub itseld is definitely alive, all the way to the end branches. However, the leaves are brown and crispy dry and the tassels dry and dead feeling. I think it has suffered from the brutal easterly winds we have had. Do I prune back or wait and hope that new leaves appear?

• Posted: Mon. 15th April 2013 18:47

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

good, now that you know it is alive, give it a good feed and wait to see where it will sprout, it probably was affected by a freeze or as you say the brutal winds, you might want to give a bit of shelter.

• Posted: Mon. 15th April 2013 21:08

Reply from Katherine Simmonds

thanks Elaine. It is pretty big to move to a more sheltered position so I will feed it and hope that it revives.

• Posted: Tue. 16th April 2013 19:39