In progress indicator

Yellowing of skimmias

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Mairi

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

We have several skimmias whose leaves have turned yellow. Can you suggest why and what might we do about it? We have acid soil and have been feeding them with ericaceous fertiliser.

• Views: 647
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Wed. 8th May 2013 11:41

Re: Yellowing of skimmias

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Are they in the sun?, first cause might be too much sun, next magnesium deficiency, try putting epsom salts.

• Posted: Wed. 8th May 2013 12:47

Reply from Mairi

They are in the sun though we are in the west of scotland - not noted for getting too much sunshine! Will consider your suggestion, thanks.

• Posted: Wed. 8th May 2013 16:16

Reply from Angie Robertson

I have one that is looking very similar and is not suffering with Iron deficiency due to me feeding. I am beginning to wonder if it may have just got a bit too waterlogged last year. Might this be the cause with your Skimmia

• Posted: Wed. 8th May 2013 21:43

Re: Re: Yellowing of skimmias

Reply from Mairi

We do have heavy clay conditions in the garden and several areas get waterlogged but these skimmias are on a slope so the water SHOULD drain away. They are at the foot of a large old maple on the shadier side of the slope so don't get too much direct sun.

• Posted: Thu. 9th May 2013 08:12

Re: Re: Re: Yellowing of skimmias

Reply from Mairi

Many thanks to Elaine Hutson for suggesting Epsom Salts. We tried this on a couple of skimmias we had in pots and it has to be said they are 'greening up' so we will be treating the ones in the garden to the same medicine.

• Posted: Thu. 27th June 2013 12:13