In progress indicator

Acer ?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Steve Tucker

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Dear Forum ,

We are new to the site and fairly 'green' to gardening so here to learn alot and design our garden as we go ...

We have our first question , we have an Acer that loses is leaves in the winter and then comes back in the spring and summer with bright red leaves. I have tried to search for the type of acer but there appear to be hundreds and just wondered if we can impose on some superior knowledge to try and identify the exact type of Acer we have. I have atached three images that I hope will help..

Love the site by the way !

Steve

Click images to enlarge

Acer ? (28/05/2013)Acer ? (28/05/2013)Acer ? (28/05/2013)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 620
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Tue. 28th May 2013 17:16

Re: Acer ?

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

I know for sure it is an Acer. dissectum, the varietal name I don't know, try garnet or any of the red ones, there is one called acer dissectum 'red filigree lace, hope that helps.

• Posted: Tue. 28th May 2013 18:29

Re: Re: Acer ?

Reply from Steve Tucker

Elaine

Thankyou so much for the quick reply. This indeed does help , well narrowed the search from about 90 pages to about 6... lol , I think your right , either the red filigree or I found another that is very very close ... Acer palmatum var. dissectum atropurpureum 'Crimson Queen'

So thats great , I will add this o my list of plants.. Our first step to building our new garden..

:O)

Steve & Kate

• Posted: Tue. 28th May 2013 19:42

Reply from Carol

It could be a variety called Inaba-shidare - we have one and its habit is very similar to this. In the winter the bare stems of Inaba-shidare are a bit silvery-grey. It grows slowly, but we love it. Autumn colour is amazing red.

• Posted: Thu. 30th May 2013 18:41

Reply from Patrick McDaid

Hi Steve

I think the first photo of the leaf that you attached looks particularly like Garnet, a vigorous red dissectum. I have visited quite a few nurseries and garden centres in the two months since I have been in the UK and the Garnet seems to be the most widely available.

Thanks Patrick

• Posted: Fri. 31st May 2013 09:53

Re: Re: Acer ?

Reply from Steve Tucker

Thanks Patrick , I will take a look at the difference , I want to also try a new app I got on my Iphone called " Leafsnap " , lets you take a photo of the leaf and it will try and identify it...

• Posted: Fri. 31st May 2013 11:47