In progress indicator

Watering

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Lorna Hazeltine

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I will probably be going to Kent for a couple of weeks mid April. I will put all my plants, cuttings and seeds in my cold greenhouse. One of my daughters has promised to keep an eye on the plants for me. I heard today that she will be moving 10 miles away so she won't be able to come every day. If I put everything in shallow troughs will it be alright to put a little water in the troughs and stand the pots in the water?. I thought that way she can come every 2nd or 3rd day.

• Views: 851
  • Replies: 12
  • Posted: Tue. 24th March 2009 23:22

Watering

Reply from Joanne 9919

Hi Lorna,

I wouldn't bother with standing your plants in water. They should be fine being watered every 2nd or 3rd day. You will probably do more harm than good having them stood in water, and I never water mine every single day.

Jo.

• Posted: Wed. 25th March 2009 15:38

Joanne

Reply from Lorna Hazeltine

Thanks Joanne, I was just concerned in case we get some high temperatures when I am away (joke!!). I would hate to lose those fuchsias that are now nice plants.
Lorna

• Posted: Wed. 25th March 2009 20:10

Watering

Reply from Georgie

I agree with Jo, Lorna, but there is a compromise. You could stand your pots on damp newspaper, a dampened old towel or similar and that way they could take up water if they needed it.

Georgie

• Posted: Wed. 25th March 2009 21:02

Watering

Georgie that sounds a good idea. In fact I have got 3 large towels that a person left in our chalet years ago. Too good to throw away but not ones that I would use. I knew they would come in handy one day!!! In fact that would enable Vickie and Paul to water from the bottom every 2/3 days.
Many thanks.
Lorna

• Posted: Thu. 26th March 2009 17:00

Watering

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Hi Lorna, to go a step further, you could have the end of the towel hanging in a bucket/trough of water, so that the water in the towel could be replenished by capilliary action - hope that makes sense and that you have a great break away. Marissa

• Posted: Thu. 26th March 2009 23:50

Good idea

Reply from Joanne 9919

I never thought of that. I know what I'll be doing whenever I go away now ;-).

Jo.

• Posted: Fri. 27th March 2009 13:26

Marissa

Another good suggestion, will do that. I did try capillary matting one year but I don't think it was very good quality, quite thin so when I gave it a good soaking some of the moisture was draining off the shelves. So I am definitely going to try the towel with trough both ends to create the capillary action. Certainly makes sense.. The shelves are ply wood so I am going to cover them with some thick plastic type board that my son who is a sign maker gave me.Then lay the thick towels on the plastic This will avoid any moisture being lost through the ply wood boards.
Thanks to everyone for the help.
Lorna

• Posted: Fri. 27th March 2009 16:22

Watering

Have started the experiment.
OOPS Pics didn't show will try again.

• Posted: Sun. 29th March 2009 19:29

Watering

Hi Folk. Sorry I have neglected shoot over the past 2 weeks but it has been really mad here.Trying to organize the greenhouse so that son-in-law can water plants for me. Also had VAT returns to do for a couple of people.
Anyhow I have been experimenting with the "towel" method of watering and it seems really good. I think if son-in-law comes every 3rd day the plants will be OK.. So thanks for the suggestions.
I am off to Kent for 2 weeks at 10am in the morning.
Lorna

• Posted: Thu. 16th April 2009 21:30

Watering

Reply from Joanne 9919

Hope you have a good break Lorna, and that your plants are ok when you get back.

Jo.

• Posted: Fri. 17th April 2009 13:07

Watering

Hi Joanne. Yes thank you I had a nice break but must admit to worrying about the plants in the greenhouse. Arrived home at 5.30pm this evening and while young Lorna was making me a cuppa next door I headed for the greenhouse!!! Delighted to say the "towel" method worked really well. Daughter and son-on-law have certainly looked after plants well for me. I can't believe how everything has grown in the past 2 weeks.
I hope to spend an evening catching up with all the posts on shoot. I noticed a few interesting titles.
Lorna

• Posted: Sun. 3rd May 2009 21:29

Watering

Reply from Joanne 9919

Glad to hear that you had a good time Lorna.

It's good to know that the towel method worked for you. It's always handy to know these things.

Yes, everything seems to be growing really quickly now that spring is well and truly here. You will have seen a big difference in your plants in two weeks.

Jo.

• Posted: Mon. 4th May 2009 08:05