In progress indicator

Training climber

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Olia Pollock

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

When to start to train Iceberg? My climber is about 50 cm tall and starting to form a buds on the top's of branches. Do I have to wait until Iceberg is tall enough to pull braches to the wires on the fence? May be I can pull them now with soft wires to let the branches grow in the certain direction (towards a fence)?..
Please share your experience.Thank you.

• Views: 558
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 4th June 2013 09:44

Re: Training climber

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Yes you can start training the rose towards the direction you want it to go, it is best to do this in fall or late winter, when you want disturb the foliage or the brittle buds that are forming.

• Posted: Tue. 4th June 2013 12:52

Re: Re: Training climber

Reply from Olia Pollock

Thanks Elaine! It is my first year of growing roses in clay soil. I did tried to make it as airy as possible but still not sure when and how to feed my roses. I have a few english roses, Iceberg, Deep secret, Alex Rose and Fruhlingsgold. So would you advise to leave all roses to grow until autumn and to start to train them later when there are plenty branches to train? Thank you.

• Posted: Tue. 4th June 2013 16:27

Re: Training climber

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Are they all climbing roses, if so, I would not touch them till fall, roses love manure, well cured of course, I don't think they are particular about soil.

• Posted: Tue. 4th June 2013 21:08