In progress indicator

help any ideas for a problem area

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Adam Byrne

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have area in my garden that is a bit of a mess. full of weeds in bare earth (fairly heavy and moist but drys out a lot in dry times). No matter how much i spray with weed killer i cant control it. The area is shaded by 3 apple trees but does get a fair amount of sun early on (its facing east so catches sun in the morning to about 3pm on a good day) I did put two raised beds in the shadiest part of the area last year and grew carrots, courgettes, peas, lettuce, parsnips and cabbages> I also planted potatoes in the bare earth and had some success despite it flooding (see picture). I would like some suggestions for things that would provide colour throughout the year and attract some wild life. also howt o prepare the area

• Views: 522
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 6th June 2013 22:31

Re: help any ideas for a problem area

Reply from Mike (Michael) Thurlow

This is a common problem when trying to garden under trees.In nature anything with a hard, glossy leaf would survive. Common ivy planting is always the first consideration if it is allowed to run and only mowed around the edges to contain it. It provides habitat for all sorts of wildlife. Another option is pachysandra terminalis low growing and dense.If you have the height aucuba japonica (Spotted laurel), mahonias, sarcoccoca (Christmas box) and holly are all options worth considering. Camellias and rhododendrons may be OK if your soil is on acidic, low pH below 6.5 down to 5.0. How about rambling roses allowed to run all over the ground, clematis montana or clematis armandii (which is evergreen)

• Posted: Thu. 6th June 2013 23:01

Re: Re: help any ideas for a problem area

Reply from Adam Byrne

Mike thanks for this advice as a novice, new to gardening the above initially sounds daunting but will have a look. Would you recommend killing everything off first and turning over the ground (a small digger rather than by hand as it is quite a big area).

• Posted: Mon. 10th June 2013 21:44