In progress indicator

Sedum not performing this year.

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Jo Christoforides

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My Sedum has performed exceptionally well for three years. This year I noticed that it wasn't keeping pace with my second Sedum, planted at the same time in a neighbouring bed. Now it has a distinctly pink tinge and upon parting the stems, I see activity of an unprecedented scale - many insects but most obvious, woodlice. As a novice, I can only guess that something serious has occurred and that it's not good! Help please. Is this plant still salvageable? Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this.

Sedum not performing this year. (10/06/2013)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 604
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Mon. 10th June 2013 10:42

Re: Sedum not performing this year.

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Sedums as a general rule are easy care plants, is it being swamped?, it looks like it, insects are the secondary problem, if that is what is happening, you might want to re- locate it or provide good drainage by building a mound, adding gravel into the hole, they are not very deep rooted, so both those considerations might do the trick.

• Posted: Mon. 10th June 2013 13:43

Re: Re: Sedum not performing this year.

Reply from Jo Christoforides

Hi Elaine,
Well, maybe I'm over watering. This year I've suddenly become much more interested and am taking more care of my plants as a result. Perhaps I'm lavishing too much love in the form of every day watering? What puzzles me is that the other Sedum is getting the same treatment but still looks great. You might be onto something though, as we have quite a clay rich soil here. I'm going to stop watering and I'll see what happens. Thanks for your time and interest. Jo.

• Posted: Mon. 10th June 2013 14:17

Re: Sedum not performing this year.

Reply from Candy Blackham

Sedums are incredibly resilient. I suggest digging it out, rinsing off the offending bugs, and potting up pieces which will surely grow. No idea what to do about the offending bugs!

• Posted: Fri. 10th April 2015 12:24

Reply from Jo Christoforides

Hi Candy,
Thanks for the interest.
The culprit - Vine Weevil!
Eliminated and Sedum doing well this season.
Jo X

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Thu. 30th April 2015 10:08